PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to beat your friends??

Jim Kountz
02-18-2009, 8:22 PM
A guy almost brought tears to my eyes today. He told me of an auction he and another guy went to on Monday, this was one of those huge surplus auctions with everything from heavy equipment, restaurant equipment, steel and metal fabrication, wookworking etc.
They were there to look at some Kubota tractors and he said he noticed a lot of Delta machinery everywhere he looked. Unisaws, jointers, planers drill presses. He said "they had this huge sander that was sort of like a giant belt sander except it was horizontal!" He said the auctioneer called it a 37" widebelt sander.
These are the prices the following items sold for, everything was in working condition and they started most of the stuff up to show it ran so although some of it could have needed work it was still worth a look see.

Unisaw - $55.00
8" Delta DJ-20 $65.00
Delta 15" planer $35.00
Delta drill press, floor model $50.00
37" Wide belt sander (this is gunna make you cry) $75.00

I wanted to choke him right where he stood...........
He said there were many other items that brought similar prices, the auctioneers were going through the stuff so fast and there was hardly anyone there stuff just went cheap. Im still so upset about it I can hardly believe it, but this guy is a straight shooter. If he told you the world was going to end tomorrow you better say your goodbyes.

Going to go beat my head against something hard now..........:mad::mad:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2009, 8:29 PM
Don't beat your head into something hard. The trip to the ER will eat into your tool budget!:D

Laurie Brown
02-18-2009, 8:29 PM
OMG, I sure hope you don't have a gun handy! ;)

I would kill him.... OMG... he better take you with him next time! Take me, too! ;) Where was this auction held??

Steve Rozmiarek
02-18-2009, 8:41 PM
Jim, he's gotta be pulling one. Any decent friend would either do that to get you riled up, or just show up with a truckload of Delta. Either one gets a rise.

Dave Lehnert
02-18-2009, 8:52 PM
Years ago I was at an auction on the Shopsmith factory floor. It was right after they closed all the retail stores. A large crowd was there and they auctioned off all the office furniture first. It was a feeding frenzy. Then came the tools. People stood there and looked at each other. They left some of the things sit because no one bid.
You never know.

Dewey Torres
02-18-2009, 8:55 PM
If you need some help with the but kickin' give me a call! sheesh:eek:

Gary Herrmann
02-18-2009, 9:04 PM
Shoot, I would have paid $100 for that 37" wide belt. Maybe even $110...

Benjamin Dahl
02-18-2009, 9:12 PM
Jim, just assume/pretend it was all 3ph (assuming you don't have 3ph) and then you won't feel so bad. those are some crazy prices.

Jim Kountz
02-18-2009, 9:20 PM
Jim, just assume/pretend it was all 3ph (assuming you don't have 3ph) and then you won't feel so bad. those are some crazy prices.

It was 3 phase but with all the money you would have saved buying the tools, you could afford to either have 3 phase run to the shop or get a converter!!

Jon Grider
02-18-2009, 9:29 PM
Yes it's OK to beat a friend.Jab...jab...straight right....left hook. That ought to do it.

Peter Quinn
02-18-2009, 9:34 PM
Oh, the one that got away. I would not beat your friend. I would offer to make him a kitchen, start with the doors, and make him hand sand all of them, then quit the job. Let him feel your pain at the loss of a wide belt sander. In fact make him sand with 220G!

george wilson
02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
That large belt sander might have been so powerful you might have been unable to supply electricity to it.Plus,it was 3 phase,for sure. I've forgotten the H.P. these things can be,but 10 or 20 hp. might be about right.Plus,there would have also been a substantial feed motor.

Next,how are you going to dust collect that big sander? You would have needed a really powerful industrial size collector to do it. The big sander could have been way too much to deal with.

The unisaw and jointer were the best buys.

Jim Kountz
02-18-2009, 10:46 PM
That large belt sander might have been so powerful you might have been unable to supply electricity to it.Plus,it was 3 phase,for sure. I've forgotten the H.P. these things can be,but 10 or 20 hp. might be about right.Plus,there would have also been a substantial feed motor.

Next,how are you going to dust collect that big sander? You would have needed a really powerful industrial size collector to do it. The big sander could have been way too much to deal with.

The unisaw and jointer were the best buys.

Power and dust collection wouldnt be an issue, I can handle that, now space to put it would have been another story!!

John Keeton
02-19-2009, 6:08 AM
Jim, "true friends" don't let friends act on their addictions.

He was just being considerate of your weaknesses and looking out for your best interests. Surely you see that, don't you????:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Your unappreciativeness is so unbecoming - think of all the money he has saved you, and how much stronger he has made you for withstanding this evil yearning in your life.

A true friend - one cannot ask for more!

So, to save yourself, why don't the rest of us come over and beat him for you!

Bob Slater
02-19-2009, 7:11 AM
Wow, those are incredible prices. Might be a time to invest in some fund that buys up unwanted quality machinery. Store it in my tool museum and charge admission.

Rod Sheridan
02-19-2009, 8:48 AM
Well Jim, ethically I don't think it's OK to beat your friends.

Practically, it's OK if they're consenting adults and you don't leave visible marks.........Rod.:eek:

Jim Kountz
02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
So, to save yourself, why don't the rest of us come over and beat him for you!

This one got me really laughing John!! Thanks, I need that!!

Paul B. Cresti
02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Power and dust collection wouldnt be an issue, I can handle that, now space to put it would have been another story!!

Where is this place and who is your friend :eek: I have three phase in the shop and I have plenty of tools....but I can add on to the shop to fit some of those tools.....I do not even need some of them! That is sick.....I just called up the rental place for a flat bed trailer...tell me where I need to go!

Frank Guerin
02-19-2009, 6:14 PM
Every auction I have been too the idiots were fighting each other just to buy a rock.

Phil Green
02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Jim,

I go to as many tool auctions as I can. My experience is you can never tell if you're at a "good" auction from a price standpoint. The last good one was on a Sat., usually not a good auction day as there are too many guys off work. The place was packed but nobody was buying. I got quite a few good deals.

Phil

Ron Garrison
02-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm new here, been reading for a few months now. I am just getting into woodworking and I am still buying tools. Anyway reading this post reminds me of one from a fishing site I frequent. Wish I had known about this auction. Think I would have come home with a few deals. Here is a link. http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=227026&highlight=saw

Enjoy.

Tom Veatch
02-19-2009, 10:51 PM
...I wanted to choke him right where he stood...

Far too easy on him. Drawing and quartering comes to mind, but if you really feel sadistic, tie him to a chair and make him listen to a couple of hours of an "Alvin and the Chipmunks" retrospective. That should be revenge enough.