PDA

View Full Version : a couple of projects

Andrew Gibson
02-18-2009, 7:59 PM
First time poster in this forum, and I wanted to share a little of my work with everyone.

The first piece is a chest of drawers that I some how managed to pass off as my senior honors project last year... along with a presentation (more like a project in political science then art ;)). It got me an A in the course and allowed me to graduate from the honors program and with a degree in history. The piece includes my first attempt at hand cut half blind dovetails (not shown but turned out well IMO).

The second piece is a TV table that I just finished for a friend of mine you can see that the design is a refinement of the chest of drawers... A matching coffee table is in the works, but is on hold today because my table saw motor has decided to die. This piece shows my first attempt at inlay (I could not be happier with it). the pick also shows the piece with 1 coat of arm-r seal... 6 additional coats of semi gloss have been applied. antique 3/4" round brasses are in the mail for the drawer fronts... actually doors that fold down with full insert euro hinges.

Anyway here are the pics, let me know what you think.

Mikail Khan
02-18-2009, 8:21 PM
Nice work!

MK

Brad Wood
02-18-2009, 9:05 PM
I have a question about the construction of the two TV stands. This is not a criticism at all, I am a complete novice.

I notice the center shelf and the upright divider in the middle. you put the two dado grooves in the shelf and the upright is two pieces.
Without knowing any better, I would have made a single upright with the dado's in that, and two smaller pieces to make the shelves.

Is the method you used Vs the way I would do it just a matter of preference? Is there a structural soundness to one over the other?

Thanks

Andrew Gibson
02-18-2009, 9:22 PM
I have a question about the construction of the two TV stands. This is not a criticism at all, I am a complete novice.

I notice the center shelf and the upright divider in the middle. you put the two dado grooves in the shelf and the upright is two pieces.
Without knowing any better, I would have made a single upright with the dado's in that, and two smaller pieces to make the shelves.

Is the method you used Vs the way I would do it just a matter of preference? Is there a structural soundness to one over the other?

Thanks

Just to clarify, pics 2 and 3 are of the same piece, the last pic just shows the figure in the wood a little better.

As for your question, I decided to make the shelf solid rather than the center support. I feel that this gives the shelf a more solid platform and strength to support weight. I am not worried that the center supports will will be knocked out of there grooves, as everything is secured solidly.
I would be worries that the shelf could pop out of the shallow groove, if the center support was solid.

I also feel that it is a more traditional method (not sure that it is.)

on the chest of drawers I used sliding dovetails and they are very solid and I would have preferred to use them on the tv stand. however the design did not allow for them. I guess i could have used them on the sides...

I hope that all makes sense and answers your question.

Jim Becker
02-18-2009, 9:45 PM
Very nice work, Andrew!

Jason Tuinstra
02-18-2009, 9:55 PM
Welcome to this side of the Creek. Good to have you here. I can certainly see the similarities between these two. Nice work.

Dewey Torres
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Where are you in Florida?

Andrew Gibson
02-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Where are you in Florida?
Just north of Tampa, near Saint Leo University

Dewey Torres
02-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Just north of Tampa, near Saint Leo University

I was orig from Panama City but lived all over Florida:

PC, Lynn Haven, Highland Park, Southport, Blounstown