PDA

View Full Version : Base for Delta Drill Press

Steve Goetz
02-18-2009, 7:22 PM
Hello All, I'm new to this forum and see that there are alot of well educated individuals out there. I'm looking for some advise. I have recently purchased a Delta 16-1/2" 17-950L drill press (which was purchased at Lowe's at a discounted price, because of the info. I received from this forum!). I would like to put a mobile base underneath it so I can move it around my shop, but I'm afraid of it being too top heavy. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Robert foster
02-18-2009, 7:57 PM
Steve:
I recently purchased the Delta 20-950 and put it on a doubled 24X24 - 3/4" plywood base on a general mobile base. I haven't used it very much but it seems to be pretty stable if you are careful.

Bob

Brian Effinger
02-18-2009, 8:12 PM
Check out my solution in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101058&highlight=delta+mobile+base

Steve Goetz
02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Brian thanks for the info. Thats just what I was looking for.

glenn bradley
02-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Another variation taking California quakes into account. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448

Roger Lance
02-20-2009, 3:34 PM
Steve....I have a Delta 17-900 (years ago model) which I attached to a piece of plywood which was then attached to a Delta mobile base (I believe for a unisaw...just want a base bigger than footprint of DP)...this works well...just steady the DP with onehand when moving...no problems....orient the mobile base mechanism off to the side so it is not in your way when you stand at the DP.

Drew Eckhardt
02-20-2009, 6:52 PM
Hello All, I'm new to this forum and see that there are alot of well educated individuals out there. I'm looking for some advise. I have recently purchased a Delta 16-1/2" 17-950L drill press (which was purchased at Lowe's at a discounted price, because of the info. I received from this forum!). I would like to put a mobile base underneath it so I can move it around my shop, but I'm afraid of it being too top heavy. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

The instruction manual which came with my Delta (17-965) said I should bolt it to the floor or a piece of plywood with specified dimensions. I did the later, and dropped it in one of the mobile bases built around user-provided 2"x2" hardwood.

I carried it down to my basement and assembled it without help and shortly thereafter herniated my L4-L5 disc. Don't do that.

Steve Goetz
02-20-2009, 8:13 PM
I carried it down to my basement and assembled it without help and shortly thereafter herniated my L4-L5 disc. Don't do that.

Drew...I've already herniated my L5-S1 disc at work. What's one more herniations??!! LOL

Thanks to all for your input

Robert foster
02-20-2009, 10:16 PM
You guys must have weak discs. Ten years ago I crushed L1 but my discs were and still are fine. Just kidding on the weak disk statement I know how much a back injury can hurt. My Dr. said mine would quit hurting in about 30 years. Only 20 more to go.
Don't hurt yourself lifting too much. An HF cherry picker is a lot less expensive.

Bob

Brian Effinger
02-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Brian thanks for the info. Thats just what I was looking for.
No problem Steve. I have moved it several times, with no problems, and still haven't put any additional weight on the base. I just make sure to keep one hand on the head as I move it - just in case.

Brian

Daniel Shnitka
02-21-2009, 1:22 AM
Steve,
Do a search using Sawmill Creek search engine.Start by doing a search using the key words
such as: Delta Mobile Drill Press base.
Once you have typed in the search to lookfor it on this form then check the box indicating "posts" as opposed to "threads" then click on "Go"
This way yo get immediately into the answers to your question.

Danny Burns
02-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I have a 16 1/2" DP on a wheel base, and I used a fairly large piece of plywood for the mount, so I could spread the wheel base out a bit, to add stability. Some people put weight in their bases.

I like to use the work table as an outfeed table, which is nice since the table is so adjustable height wise, and the wheels make it easy to move around.