PDA

View Full Version : Pocket holes for table top

Ed Gibbons
02-18-2009, 6:44 PM
I have been using my Kregg jig to use pocket holes to attach table tops.

I am interested in what my fellow Creekers think of this method of attaching table tops. I am concerned long term about wood movement.

Paul Demetropoulos
02-18-2009, 7:01 PM
Ed,

If you're top is plywood no problem, if it's solid wood you're right to be concerned. You'll need to attach the top in a way that will allow the wood to move with changes in humidity.

There are many options from oversized screw holes to L shaped fasteners that go into an oversized slot.

Joe Scharle
02-18-2009, 9:21 PM
I've attached a few with pocket screws going back 50 years. Never had a problem. Remember pocket hole joinery is at least 100 years old; probably from the day after the first forstner bit was invented. It's the Kreg system that made it so much easier.
As for tops, I run them in thru the aprons and back the screws off one turn by hand. But I'm a hobby woodworker; hopefully a production woodworker will chime in here too.

Blake Barr
02-18-2009, 9:32 PM
I just did this yesterday with my new assembly/outfeed table but it's 1.5" of MDF and a 3/4 melamine panel so no worries on movement

John Thompson
02-18-2009, 9:53 PM
I haven't.. wouldn't.. and won't but.. Joe said he has done it for 50 years and that may speak for itself so... go figure what the real answer is? And I was referring to solid wood as I don't do ply... but I assume he was also.

Good luck...

Sarge..

glenn bradley
02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I do it if there is a good reason. I prefer the regular methods but when I do use pocket holes I set the screw like normal, then back it off just a bit like Joe. If the top is a wood I expect a lot of movement out of I will back the screw out and drill the through-hole just a bit oversized and then replace the screw. That my be overkill but, it makes me feel better.

Peter Quadarella
02-18-2009, 10:38 PM
If the table will be inside your home for it's life there's a good chance our modern climate control will let you away without any issues, assuming decent and dry wood to start. I have a feeling that if you moved from Georgia to Arizona to Maine you might get some splitting though.

Dewey Torres
02-18-2009, 10:44 PM
If you use them on the long-grain to long-grain you are better off. In the cross-grain situations I would consider alternatives such as (but not limited to) figure eight clips (http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Fasteners%20%26%20Screws/CatID/Fasteners/SubCatID/Desktop%20Fasteners).