PDA

View Full Version : Another rubber stamp question

Bob Kline
02-18-2009, 6:35 PM
Thanks for your earlier responses. Now a ??? about self-adhesive sponge cushions. I see them on the JMP site. I would like to use the laser to cut them out -- especially thee round ones --- but they are PVC and I understand that you just don't do that!! Do you know of an alternative that isn't PVC? Or, is a cushion really necessary?
Thanks

Scott Erwin
02-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Bob,

I don't use any sponge rubber for my stamps. I have made them from the auto ink style to mounting them on a piece of wood base. I use a two faced tape that I also use for my vinyl banners to make a hem when one was not provided or I am adding one. (Very strong holding power.) I have not used sponge rubber (foam) type two faced tape but I would think that could work too.

The majority of the stamps I do are either signatures, printed names, or other similar information, and a few pictures. All of them I make in a rectange or square shape so the tape will line up correctly. I make them about .015" less on each side (.030" total) than the size of the normal tape sizes 1/2", 3/4", etc. you should not have a problem.

I am not sure how many or how large you are making your stamps but if you feel more comfortable using the foam type this may work for you.

Hope this helps you.

Bill Cunningham
02-19-2009, 8:13 PM
I usually buy 18" mounting strips with cushions attached. and cut them to size on the bandsaw. If it's a standard stamp type cushion, it's not likely pvc.. Take a piece, and hold a match to the corner.. If it burns like plastic with a acrid smell, I would avoid it.. But it's usually just a black foam rubber, that cuts pretty quick..