PDA

View Full Version : Engraving slate

Stephen Kane
02-18-2009, 5:07 PM
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a few months, and have gained invaluable knowledge from all here. :)
I am based in Ennis in Ireland and am just getting into laser engraving. Initial purchase was to laser engrave a stainless steel product using Cermark.
Like everyone else I got bit by the laser bug and started to engrave everything I could get my hands on!
However I finally focused (to some small extent) on engraving slate tiles. Attached are some images of the end result.
I would appreciate feedback and pointers in relation to experiences engraving slate.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

Angus Hines
02-18-2009, 5:09 PM
LOL...It must be forget to post the pics day.

Dee Gallo
02-18-2009, 5:11 PM
Welcome, Steve! I'd love to comment on your slate.... if I could see them. Please attach your images using the "attach files" option below your "reply to thread box".

I'm very curious to see what slate results are like, I've been thinking of trying some myself.

cheers, dee

Stephen Kane
02-18-2009, 5:23 PM
OOOps:confused:

Figured it out

Stephen

Stephen Kane
02-18-2009, 5:27 PM
Here we go

James Stokes
02-18-2009, 5:38 PM
They turned out very well. I never had much luck with slate myself.

Steve Clarkson
02-18-2009, 5:50 PM
Stephen.....Welcome to the Creek!

Very nice results there! My experiments in slate never came close to THAT!

Interesting outline shape you have there....definitely not your typical oval!

Tim Bateson
02-18-2009, 5:55 PM
Nice work. I'd like to find some slate that black.

Belinda Barfield
02-18-2009, 6:00 PM
Welcome Stephen. As the others said, nice results!

John W. Love
02-18-2009, 6:48 PM
Welcome to the Creek Stephen! Those look awesome! I was told in the beginning that slate was hard to work with due to the uneven surface, But you make it look easy!

Dave Russell Smith
02-18-2009, 7:05 PM
Welcome to the Creek Stephen! Those look awesome! I was told in the beginning that slate was hard to work with due to the uneven surface, But you make it look easy!

You can get some really nice roofing slate which is flat and smooth,another material that lasts for hundereds of years like our buildings, thats what I miss about the old country:(

John W. Love
02-18-2009, 7:09 PM
Thanks David, I might look into that sometime and see how it goes. Stephen's pictures had quite a bit of detail to them, more that I expected, and came out very neat and clean looking.

Vic Harris
02-18-2009, 7:12 PM
Nice job!!!

Frank Corker
02-18-2009, 7:36 PM
Welcome to the Creek Steve. Nice to see someone from this side of the pond. Slate came out very well, I have used it quite a bit, only problem comes when too many people handle it with grease on their fingers. If you put it where no one will touch it looks fantastic.

Dave Russell Smith
02-18-2009, 7:44 PM
This is UK supplier will ship oversea's http://www.slateproducts.com/home.html not sure what it would cost to get that over here. Maybe I'll put some in my luggage case when I go over to visit my parents, plenty of houses in their neighbourhood with these roofs :D .

Dee Gallo
02-18-2009, 7:53 PM
Very nice work, Steve! How thick is that slate and did you cut it with your laser? Care to share your settings?

I have some old school blackboards which are very smooth 1/4" slate - I used one for a heat block under and behind our woodstove. It is easy to keep clean if you Armorall it periodically. Of course, then you can't write on it with chalk anymore... but fingerprints don't stain it. I wonder if that would help if you treated it before lasering. It certainly makes it much blacker and more even.

Thanks for sharing your work, dee

Dan Hintz
02-18-2009, 8:01 PM
This is UK supplier will ship oversea's http://www.slateproducts.com/home.html not sure what it would cost to get that over here. Maybe I'll put some in my luggage case when I go over to visit my parents, plenty of houses in their neighbourhood with these roofs :D .
Good God, but that site's terrible... I was never sure where a link was going to take me or what i would find when I got there! I wish I was in the UK to pick some up, but it would be anyone's guess what I was actually purchasing ;-)

Kenneth Hertzog
02-18-2009, 8:45 PM
I found that if you spray clear lacquar or brush on some poly
the results are outstanding
ken

Stephen Kane
02-19-2009, 4:11 AM
Thanks for all the comments.
Steve - well spotted - our oval drawing got slightly eroded along the way!
Tim - slate I am using is called Montauk Black. It does have some grains and impurities which I guess are unavoidable in a natural product. However i am still searching for the ultimate slate.
Frank thanks for neighbourly welcome. I use Lithofin Stain Stop on the slate and many are sold framed behind glass.
Dave thanks for link. The slate I use is honed and is typically used as floor/wall tile.
Kenneth - thanks, will try that.
Dee - slate is 10mm thick. It is cut on waterjet. Engraving settings are 400sp 30 power and 200 dpi. Fortunately fingerprints are not an issue for me - maybe I need my eyesight checked!

Stephen

Bill Cunningham
02-19-2009, 8:29 PM
The closest I've come to slate, was this..
A customer brought in a couple of small slate chalkboards to have his logo put on them. One was smooth, the other slightly rough.. His artwork.. I would have liked to make the text in the white a little darker/thicker, but I was etching from his bitmap file..

Frank Corker
02-19-2009, 8:33 PM
They look fantastic Bill. Very clear.

Phil Garcia
02-20-2009, 5:04 PM
Welcome aboard Steve, very nice work. Slate was one the mediums I had not tried, I guess it's about time I do. You well enjoy participating in this forum, a great bunch of people are here helping each other day in and day out. Look forward to your post.:D

Phil Salvati
02-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Nice job Stephen!

I have a slate project to attempt and test today too!

A customer has asked if we can put his logo on his custom Turkey calls. Presently we engrave the strikers.

The slate is perfectly smooth... any ideas on settings?

He didn't have any scrap pieces as he is geared up for the local trade shows. I had to purchase a few calls which got costly!

We have to find out if the image will change the tone at all and how long it will last.

Phil

Stephen Kane
02-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Phil.

Settings I use on 60w Rabbit are 400sp, 30% power and .12 which corresponds to 200 dpi.
However if you catch a turkey my wife says 20mins per pond plus 20 min at 180c. These are probably more reliable!
Good luck

Stephen

Phil Salvati
02-21-2009, 3:20 PM
Thanks Stephen!

I am about to give it a whirl! Then test the tone difference.. I doubt it will have much effect as the logo takes minimal space.

It's not turkey season for a few months here... but I will keep the cooking instructions in mind ;) thank your wife for me!

Andrew Calnek
04-22-2011, 7:57 AM
Hello Stephan

How did you cut out the profile?

very impressive

From Canada, the other side