PDA

View Full Version : Lasering on Micarta

Linda Kroeker
02-18-2009, 4:06 PM
Good afternoon everyone,
Hope you can help...I'm still pretty new at this lasering stuff, wondering if
anyone has ever lasered a checker or diamond pattern on Micarta???
I may have a job lasering this material for knife handles...if its possible to do?
I've never used the 3d mode on my Helix 45 laser...would it be just like doing this on the wood gun handles like on the Epilog website...its not very
detailed on how to acually do the job layout.
I think most of it depends on the diamond layout in corel with the different graytones...somethink new to learn.
Thank you for any help you can provide. This site is the best!

Bruce Volden
02-18-2009, 5:44 PM
Linda.

Micarta lasers very well!!! I like the ivory (eggshell?) color for the look of faux scrimshaw. I buy the sheets from Jantz, they laser easily and also cut (somewhat easily-maybe 2 passes on 1/8" with my 35 W machine) nice.

You can colorfill and that also takes well. I often use it for inlay purposes.

Bruce

Linda Kroeker
02-18-2009, 6:23 PM
Thank you Bruce...They want me to put a diamond pattern that looks 3d on the material...
so now I have to learn how to do this 3d look in corel...always something new to learn. Any advice on how to do this in corel x3?

Bruce Volden
02-19-2009, 8:57 AM
Well hopefully someone will jump in here to help US out. I only have Corel 11 and I (think) if you draw a diamond the size you want, then fill it black, then using the blend tool to fill the center of the diamond shape white you'll end up with a "3D" diamond. There is also a simpler way using "steps" between the black to white center (involving gray scaling), but wouldn't you know it, it's so simple I forgot how :confused: Anyway after diamond is created then you can just make multiples and arrange them where you need them. I recall seeing an article where you are able to make your own PostScript Fill from shapes you create-----somebody help US out here....Please!!!

Bruce

Bruce Volden
02-19-2009, 9:22 AM
Linda,

OK, I just had to "play" around and refresh my old memory cuz I'm, well, old!!! Here's what I did-create a diamond shape with no line color, filled it black. Copied the diamond and made it smaller, turned that one white. Centered the white one in the black one, double clicked and opened up the blend tool. Put the number of steps needed into the box and click apply, this is what I got. Am I anywhere in the ballpark to what you need? :eek:

Bruce

Linda Kroeker
02-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks again Bruce, That is what I need. I played around with the contour tool
and came up with almost the same thing, but your way seems easier. Now I just have to wait for the sample Micarta they are sending me comes in.
Would I use the same settings as I use for plastic from JDS?
Learn something new each day on this site...I love it!
Thanks again for your time Bruce.
Linda

Vic Harris
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Linda,
Look at ypur pattern fills I think there is a diamond configuration in there.

Vic Harris
02-19-2009, 1:08 PM
in the post script fills you can use the cross hatch

Linda Kroeker
02-19-2009, 9:40 PM
I recieved my sample piece of Micarta and a sample knive handle. They would like me to copy the handle, they do the diamond
pattern by hand right now and would like me to laser the pattern on a 12x12" piece of Micarta.
I seem to be having trouble getting it as deep as the sample...they have to be deep for a good grip...
my settings are 600dpi 40s 80p ran twice...still not deep enough...
Anyone have any suggestions...or am I even going to get a deep cut???
I don't think my pictures went through...sorry will try again.

Margaret Turco
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi Linda, I didn't look at the file, but can you vector engrave the lines?

Linda Kroeker
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
okay here are the pictures...

Linda Kroeker
02-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Margaret,
I was thinking I would try that, but not sure of what settings to use, I only have a small sample of material...and how would I get width to the lines?

Margaret Turco
02-19-2009, 10:06 PM
You would have to put several lines next to each other to achieve the width. On the photos you just posted, it looks like you have engraved lines that are wider than the sample. Is that true? That will add to the illusion that you have less depth.

Also, do you know what grade it is? You could get another sheet at McMaster Carr, but they sell different kinds. If I remember right the XX grade is easier to cut, but that is probably not what you have.