PDA

View Full Version : PM66 Tight Miter Slots

Steve H Graham
02-18-2009, 3:59 PM
This week I used my Powermatic 66, and I got dark stuff on the workpieces. I believe this was partly because I need a new throatplate; the old one can't be leveled, so it obstructs the work at times, making it necessary to push harder. This makes crud come off on the wood.

Today I attacked the table with mineral spirits, Sheila Shine, Break-Free CLP, and wax. I used a Scotchbrite pad. I got all sorts of grime off the metal, although it's not completely clean.

I had been worried about the miter slots. I got an Incra miter gauge recently, and I noticed it was tight at the beginning and end of the slots. I figured my slots were worn (old saw), and that I was going to have to come here and ask for a solution.

While I was cleaning the crud off, I decided to go into the slots with a wire brush. It did the trick. The ends of the slots are still a little more snug than the middles, but it's no longer a problem, and a little more brushing may fix it completely.

I thought I would mention this in case another newbie out there runs into the same problem and thinks his saw has to go to a machine shop.

If anyone knows how to get Corian dust off of saw parts, I would love to hear about it. Also, any suggestions on where to grease the saw so the blade rises and lowers more easily would be appreciated. I'm trying to guess from looking at it, but it's dark and cruddy in there.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-18-2009, 6:47 PM
I used to take a swaging punch ( ball end) to my track shaft to make it a little larger as my old TS wore.

Corian dust that won't come off easy is prolly melted in place: made hot in the cut and slung in place by the blade while still soft. Take any scraper to it. Or, if you like the look leave it.

Steve H Graham
02-18-2009, 7:14 PM
To be clear, I don't think my problem was wear. I think that over the years, the motion of the miter gauge kept the middle of the track relatively free of rust and crap, and when I hit it with the wire brush, all that stuff came out.

Charles Lent
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
As far as lubrication is concerned, I use Johnson's paste wax on the top and the miter slide grooves of my Unisaw. I also use it on an old toothbrush to lubricate the worm gears inside. It works great and doesn't attract sawdust as much as petroleum lubricants do.

Charley