PDA

View Full Version : makita plunge router

rich murray
02-18-2009, 2:07 PM
Anyone willing to share their personal experience with the Makita RP1101 variable speed plunge router? Is there a reason Makitas are seldom listed among the better routers? I have a corded Makita drill that has never failed me in 20 yrs. It's the only Makita i have ever owned, and I like it.
For some reason, choosing a 2 hp plunge router is giving me serious pause. I need convincing.

Maurice Ungaro
02-18-2009, 4:53 PM
I don't know why more folks don't sing their praises. The motor is double balanced, making it very smooth. It's the first router I bought, and currently lives attached to a Woodpecker's lift on my Uni's right extension.

Mack Cameron
02-18-2009, 6:59 PM
I have 2 Makita 3612C's mounted in LV tables. I also have the Makita 1101 kit that I use as a handheld router.

You'll have to pry them from my dead cold hands to take them from me.

Jim McFarland
02-18-2009, 8:28 PM
I have the D-handle version and very happy with it -- soft start and quiet operation (for a router!). I had the fixed/plunge kit but gave it to my son. IIRC, the only negative on the plunge base is no "on the handle" on/off switch.

Ed Calkins
02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I've had one for about 3 years and love it --- no problems. I have many Makita tools including older (very heavy) 10" and 14" chop saws and all are quality tools that maintain accuracy.

rich murray
02-19-2009, 1:52 PM
Thanks all for the responses. Confirmed what I've long thought about Makita quality. Is it true you can use Porter Cable edge guides on the Makita RP 1101? This router is leading by a nose over the DeWalt 621 for my money.