PDA

View Full Version : New Router

Edward Henderson
02-18-2009, 1:18 PM
I'm a spoiled old man.
I'm looking around for a new router to replace my Makita Red line 9amp router that I've left at the lake because it's so useful out there. I've got into the habit of grabbing that old router whenever I need a quick cut like a rabbit or for taking with me to do an odd job at a friends place. It's light and exceptionally easy to use for most jobs. I have two other routers that are mounted in router tables.
Now we get into the spoiled old man part. I thought I could use one or the other of my table mounted routers or even my little trim router for odd jobs in my shop. But it is a pain to unmount one of the table mounted routers and man those suckers are heavy.
I have also been saddled with a condition called "tremors" which handicaps me a bit when using the trim router because it's a machine best used with one hand. The tremors are fairly well under control and I have adapted pretty good.
So I'm looking for a small light router in the 10-12 amp range. I've found the Porter cable 895PK multi base and the makita RF1101 kit on sale here locally and they are nice routers. I'm also interested in the craftsman 2pc 11 amp kit at Sears.
I'm looking for advice from members here. Can I get some good-bad ugly-advice or opinions on these? Or are there some better options out there?
I'll be honest, I almost picked up the Porter Cable yesterday but deferred because the clip on the fixed base section appeared flawed. I'm going over to Sears to look at the craftsman today mand will also check out the PC there to check the clip.

Thanks for any advice.

Ed

scott spencer
02-18-2009, 1:31 PM
Hi Ed - I'd definitely add the Milwaukee 5616 to your short list. Built like a tank, features the BodyGrip and dual handles....not the lightest router around but very stout.

My dovetail router is an inexpensive Hitachi M12VC. It's light and quiet, and is reasonably well built. I sold my Bosch 1617 in favor of the Hitachi because it's so much more maneuverable, but the 1617EVS is also very stout, solidly built, and well worth a look.

Brad Wood
02-18-2009, 2:13 PM
While I don't have a problem with Craftsman in general, I do find that a lot of their stuff does not accept generic accessories.

Bruce Page
02-18-2009, 2:20 PM
I really like my PC 690 with D handel for hand held work.

Chris Krysinski
02-18-2009, 2:36 PM
At the stair shop we've been really impressed with the Porter Cables. We have some that are 15+ years old. Very reliable in our experience.

Jeff Willard
02-18-2009, 4:05 PM
When I started working wood years ago, an old cabinetmaker told me, "for my money, there's only one router-Porter Cable." I took his advice, and have not regretted it. I now have three. Having said that, some time ago I found need for a "D" handle router, and the only one available locally was a Bosch, so I picked one up. I don't think I'll regret that, either. In fact it does so well that I just now picked up a Colt laminate trimmer at Sears. Looked at the Craftsman routers, and they look pretty nice, but the country of origin is a real turn-off for me.

Ray Dockrey
02-18-2009, 4:55 PM
That Craftsman router he is talking about is a whole different animal then their other routers. I actually have two because I was so impressed with my first one. It looks very close to the Porter Cable so I suspect that it is coming off the same assembly line.

george wilson
02-18-2009, 5:02 PM
To try out routers,start them,and listen for which one has the fewest rattling noises as it slows to a stop. I bought a Bosch for the carving machine I am building. The mucho expensive gun stock carver my friend bought has a Milwaukee. IIRC,it is a Dakota,and IIRC,it used to cost $13,000.00. It is manual.

Stephen Edwards
02-18-2009, 7:09 PM
My dovetail router is an inexpensive Hitachi M12VC. It's light and quiet, and is reasonably well built. I sold my Bosch 1617 in favor of the Hitachi because it's so much more maneuverable, but the 1617EVS is also very stout, solidly built, and well worth a look.

Scott,

I have the fixed base/plunge kit of the Hitachi M12VC. I like using it as a hand held router. I bought it brand spanking new. However, I've had a problem from day one with mine. The collets are difficult to remove when changing bits or changing collets. I have two of the Bosch 1617 and both of those are a breeze to release the collet. Any suggestions for solving this problem with the Hitachi?

Thanks,

scott spencer
02-18-2009, 7:37 PM
Scott,

I have the fixed base/plunge kit of the Hitachi M12VC. I like using it as a hand held router. I bought it brand spanking new. However, I've had a problem from day one with mine. The collets are difficult to remove when changing bits or changing collets. I have two of the Bosch 1617 and both of those are a breeze to release the collet. Any suggestions for solving this problem with the Hitachi?

Thanks,

Hi Stephen - Mine don't exhibit the issue you described. You try a little machine oil on them and see if that helps. IIRC, the Hitachi will accept the Bosch collets....(?)

Stephen Edwards
02-19-2009, 7:00 PM
Hi Stephen - Mine don't exhibit the issue you described. You try a little machine oil on them and see if that helps. IIRC, the Hitachi will accept the Bosch collets....(?)

Thanks, Scott. I'll try the machine oil. Pardon my ignorance but what does IIRC mean, please?

Thanks again for the tip. I appreciate it.

Tom Majewski
02-19-2009, 7:11 PM
Ed,
I have a Bosch 1617 and love it. I'm pretty sure Craftsman has a clone of it only in a different color. I'd consider it.

btw...IIRC means If I recall correctly....

Thomas Williams
02-19-2009, 7:23 PM
I have arthritis and I have bouts with grip issues. So my favorite hand held fixed base router is the Milwaukee 5615 body grip router. As to the Craftsman, I think they have a couple of models that are made for them by Bosch. I have heard good things, but no personal experience.

scott spencer
02-19-2009, 7:27 PM
Ed,
btw...IIRC means "If I recall correctly"....

Yeah...it's a disclaimer that exonerates me from all blame if I'm wrong! :D

Stephen Edwards
02-19-2009, 10:16 PM
btw...IIRC means If I recall correctly....

Thanks Ed.........you've helped with my continuing education!

glenn bradley
02-19-2009, 11:54 PM
+1 on the Milwaukee. Their routers are just a whole different animal. I accidentally got hooked when I picked up a 5615 on sale. Got the 5625 for the table and a 5616-24 dual base kit. I have a few other brands and they are all pretty nice but the Mils are, as Scott says, built like a tank.

Mark Godlesky
02-20-2009, 1:40 AM
Another vote for the Milwaukee. I really like the body grip.I have 2 5616's.

Edward Henderson
02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the info. I tried out several diff models including the Craftsman(which was on sale for 50.00 off) and the Millwakee.
Wound up with the Bosch 1617 with two bases and guide and a couple of Dimar bits. Now I'm tempted to put one base in one of my router tables because it has the bit adjustment from above the table and I believe bit changes as well. Plansnow has a plan for a small easlily setup router table for the bench. Three router tables? I better head down to HIS place on Sunday and give some thanks.
The Bosch has a 15 day return period so I'm going to give it a bit of a workout today.

Thanks again

Edward Henderson
02-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Ray,
I was impressed with the Craftsmen as well. The Sears store I went to only had a couple of kits on hand that had been returned for some reason. The rest had been sold out. Had they been able to tell me the reason why the units had been returned I might have considered them. The units on hand had been canibalized as well.

Stephen Edwards
02-21-2009, 1:27 PM
I don't think that you'll be disappointed with your choice of the Bosch.

Best Wishes,

george wilson
02-21-2009, 1:32 PM
I like my 1617. It has a magnesium body,a plus for a carving machine to reduce weight,and you can turn the speed down a bit,so it doesn't scream as loudly. When using a carving machine,the router runs for a long time,and reducing the noise some helps those not too far away.It seems to cut just as well,too.

Chris Krysinski
02-23-2009, 9:05 PM
Just as a side note, if you're also in the market for a new miter saw you might want to check out the Hitachi. They have a dual bevel sliding miter that comes with a free 2 and 1/4 hp router through mail in rebate. Who knows what the quality is like but you can't beat free :)

Chris Allen
02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Another vote here for the Milwaukee.

phil harold
02-24-2009, 1:21 PM
So I'm looking for a small light router in the 10-12 amp range. Ed

Yesterday I bought a hitachi M12 form the local tool store for $99

11-amp
variable speed 8,000 to 24,000 RPM
soft start
5yr factory warranty

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12VC-4-Horsepower-Variable-Router/dp/B0002ZZWXI

Ron Bott
02-24-2009, 1:51 PM
Another vote for the Milwaukee. Did a bunch of research last summer and it came down to the Milwaukee or Porter Cable. I decided on the Milwaukee. It seems like they have passed up PC as the top routers. I'm completely satisfied with mine.

Norman Pyles
02-24-2009, 3:08 PM
I'm gonna throw in a plug for the Dewalt 618, since no one else has done it. I really like mine.

Bill White
02-24-2009, 3:15 PM
Bought the Freud dual base kit from Lowe's for $99.00 and free shipping. Soft start, above the table bit change, height adjuster, and spinlle lock. It lives in the table now, and the PC 690 is the hand held. Pleased with the choice.
Bill:rolleyes: