PDA

View Full Version : Used widebelts for the small shop?

Gregory Stahl
02-18-2009, 1:00 PM
I would like to add a widebelt to my shop, but am wondering if a new $10k machine is worth it when there are plenty of sub $2k machines going at auctions. I passed up a nice one recently, and see a couple more going right now.

I realize the used $2k machines have pneumatic belt adjustment vs. electronic in the newer machines, but I suspect they are built much better overall and may be easier to service.

There seems to be plenty of Timesavers model 137-1HD sanders around in the range of 15-20HP. I would need to add a phase converter to the shop to run this. Does this seem wise, or am I looking for trouble? Anybody have this model in their shop?

For new machines, the Grizzly or Powermatic 37" machines, or the Speed Sander 43" 10 HP machine are being considered, but this is alot of money when I consider most production shops I see are running older 37" sanders, and money could be better spent elsewhere.

Also, what do you think of older Powermatic widebelts--more similiar to the older Timesavers machines than the current Powermatic and Grizzly offerings?

What would you do and why?

I do mostly furniture with the occasional kitchen job. I have 200A service in my shop.

David DeCristoforo
02-18-2009, 6:29 PM
Older Timesavers are great machines. But you would want to be able to verify that the machine is in good operating condition before buying it. These things are complex and not easy to work on and parts can be expensive. So your savings could easily get eaten up if the machine needs a lot of work. But a choice between a "vintage" Timesaver in good running condition and one of these newer Chinese machines (sorry you Chinese machine fans....) is a no brainer.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-18-2009, 7:26 PM
I don't know anything about wide belt sanders, but the prices on great used industrial stuff are very interesting to say the least!

Larry Edgerton
02-18-2009, 7:44 PM
Is the Speedsander the one made up in Minn.? I was going to drive up there and look at those, they are made out of parts you can buy at Graingers/McMaster Carr if it is what I am thinking of. I am afraid of all the specialized parts in a Timesaver/SCMI/etc. I would keep a machine for a very long time so parts are an issue.

I think I saw that Safety Speed Cut is making one now as well, but I know nothing of it. The way my market crashed it will be a while before I buy one.

I got a price on a new single belt SCMI for 14K, 52 inch if I remember a couple of years ago, but chickened out.

Karl Brogger
02-18-2009, 7:55 PM
Is the Speedsander the one made up in Minn.?

No. Speedsander is a Chinese made import with the Timesaver name/logo slapped on it. I have one, not a bad machine, not the greatest either. But for the price you get what you pay for.

The ones you think of are a dark shade of blue. Can't think of the name for the life of me right now. The guy used to build them in his garage.

Ben Abate
02-18-2009, 8:35 PM
I think you have to evaluate your needs to justify one. I bought one used from a fellow creeker, it was like new. Just by our conversations on the phone I knew he wasn't just trying to sell the machine but was rather interested in his well taken care of machine being placed in a good home.

The brand that I bought was a Bridgewood 25 inch machine. I wanted a 37 but I couldn't get the phyiscal size thru my doorway. I don't regret the 25 inch. I would advise you to look at X-Factory site, when I was looking I found some good prospects there....do the search and then sign up for when new items are added to there list. That way you won't miss a good deal on a good machine.

Ben

Rick Lizek
02-18-2009, 9:30 PM
Why not a stroke sander????

Rob Sack
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Is the Speedsander the one made up in Minn.? I was going to drive up there and look at those, they are made out of parts you can buy at Graingers/McMaster Carr if it is what I am thinking of. I am afraid of all the specialized parts in a Timesaver/SCMI/etc. I would keep a machine for a very long time so parts are an issue.

I think I saw that Safety Speed Cut is making one now as well, but I know nothing of it. The way my market crashed it will be a while before I buy one.

I got a price on a new single belt SCMI for 14K, 52 inch if I remember a couple of years ago, but chickened out.

I believe the Safety Speed Cut is the one made in Minn. It originally was the Halstey, but the company was purchased by Safety Speedcut. I've seen the oringinal Halstey and the Safety Speedcut. Simple, well-made machines using easily available parts.