PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Chad Young
07-09-2004, 10:53 AM
First of all I want to say how much I enjoy this message board and I have learned quite a bit from it in the little time I have been reading it and as you will soon see by my question I am still learning the basics. I have build quite a bit of small items but I am now taking on the task of building a new entertainment center out of knotty(sp?) pine and would appreciate any feedback.

The entertainment center made of venear plywood with a pine face frame and I have a couple of question that I am sure most of you can help with.

First I am ready to put on the face frame and not sure the best way to do this. Should I build it all then attach it or should I attach one piece at a time. Also how should I best join it to the plywood ie with finish nails, Biscuits or both.

Second if I build the face frame by it self how should I best join the pieces together. By this I mean is finish nails and glue enough or should I try something else.

Thanks for help in advance on such basic questions.

Chad

Tim Sproul
07-09-2004, 11:30 AM
First I am ready to put on the face frame and not sure the best way to do this. Should I build it all then attach it or should I attach one piece at a time. Also how should I best join it to the plywood ie with finish nails, Biscuits or both.
Traditionally, you build the face frame after assembling the carcass. You often build the frame slightly oversize and then trim after attatching to the case. If you attach to the case before installing, you can simply glue and clamp the face frame to the case. Biscuits can be used to help align a large face frame structure. If you install the face frame in place - build the case, install case into room and then put face frame on - you can clamp if you have the know-how and room and patience (use flexible poles pushing between opposite wall and the case - I forget the term for this) or simply use some brads ala Norm.

Second if I build the face frame by it self how should I best join the pieces together. By this I mean is finish nails and glue enough or should I try something else.

mortise and tenon is the traditional method of joining the rails and stiles and mullions of a face frame. pocket screws are the modern favorite of commercial cabinetmakers. If you have biscuit cutter that will, you can use FF size biscuits. I've done lap joints as well.....dovetail laps can be quite a nice decorative touch - though I only recommend that for smaller jobs as it can be time consuming to cut many of those. I've also just simply glued the individual face frame members to the case without actually joining the rails/stiles/mullions to each other.

Chad Young
07-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Currently the carcass is fully assembeled and I do have a biscuit joiner that will do the FF biscuits so I may try that. As far as as mortise and tenon I think I will hold off till I have more experience.

Tim Sproul
07-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Currently the carcass is fully assembeled and I do have a biscuit joiner that will do the FF biscuits so I may try that.

On that note....I've done this - I double cut the slots (lengthen the mortise for the biscuit) for the biscuits...perhaps a large 1/32 on each side of the center mark. This gives a bit more leeway for squaring up the face frame during assembly without compromising strength.

Jim Becker
07-09-2004, 2:42 PM
I prefer the biscuits to help with mounting the face frame as you and Tim suggest...and Tim's suggestion to elongate the slots in the carcass is a good one. Thanks, Tim! As to building the face frame, I prefer pocket screws for this purpose. It's fast, accurate and very strong. Buy combining these methods, you'll have a nice clean look without needing to deal with filling holes later and a strong, well-aligned joint between the face frame and the carcase.

Dennis Peacock
07-09-2004, 4:24 PM
Great info here....

I always build the FF after the casework is done and then mount the FF to the casework with Pockethole screws. A little glue and the pocket hole screws and she ain't comin' apart.!!! :D

Chad Young
07-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

Chad