PDA

View Full Version : I say, "SMC PEOPLE ARE SECOND TO NONE"

Tony Greenway
02-18-2009, 9:44 AM
I'm a proud parent of a new MARINE who is assigned to the aviation school at Pensacola Beach. A few weeks back, I noticed that SMC'er David Christopher lives at Pensacola on his profile, so I sent him a pm asking his recommendation for good restaurants there. He called me soon after and I told him we were going to visit our son over the upcoming long weekend. He said that while in town, we should drop by for some burgers and shop talk. On Saturday we did just that. Dave and his wife Gloria welcomed us like family to their home. She had already cooked a table full of food before we arrived and then put the burgers on the grill. After our meal, while our wives chatted, Dave gave me a shop tour. He has an amazing homeshop that is very clean and organized with most tools being mounted on roll-out shelves for the ultimate in convenience. It was great talking to someone who shares a passion for turning. He also showed some of his impressive works(his cedar HFs are really something). I took Dave some black walnut and in turn, he gave me some mesquite and clear red cedar. If everyone was as friendly as Dave and Gloria, the world would be a much better place.:):):) THANKS, Tony and family

Jim Kountz
02-18-2009, 9:53 AM
Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend Tony!! Made me hungry reading your post!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Tony...That's been my experience too! Creeker visits are good!

Congrats on the visit...and on the new Marine! Is he/she in flight school?

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Tony - sounds like you had a great time! Creeker visits always fun! Congrats, also, on the new marine in the family! You must be proud!

Ted Shrader
02-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Tony -

You are right. Every single Creeker I have met has been just like that. Never miss an opportunity for Creeker visits.

Regards,
Ted

Jeff Nicol
02-18-2009, 1:38 PM
Tony, I believe you are correct in the fact that SMC and its members are the salt of the earth! We all share a bond that is forged from time and expieriences in woodoworking and in the world! As you said if everyone got along and were as receptive and friendly as SMC members, the world would be a better place! I am glad you had a great time visiting your son and a fellow creeker too! The offer is always out to anyone who is in my area to stop in and chat, have a cup of coffee or a soda or whatever. I really like people to stop in as it is a good way for me clean up my shop! I send them away with a bag or box of goodies to turn on the lathe!

I echo Tony's praise to SMC!!!!

Thanks for the great story!

Jeff

Ron Erickson
02-18-2009, 2:01 PM
All of the SMC members that I have meet where great people also and we exchanged wood too. Anyone is welcome at my place. Ron

Glenn Clabo
02-18-2009, 2:13 PM
Winsconsin?

Near Chippewa Falls?

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company?

When's the next plane?

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2009, 3:51 PM
Sounds like a good time was had by all and a good meal to boot.

Dewey Torres
02-18-2009, 9:29 PM
Congrats on your visit. Mine this holiday at Mike Holden's was very similar...loved it!

David Christopher
02-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Tony, thanks for the kind words..we enjoyed the visit of you and your family and know yall are welcome anytime.....any creekers that come to Pensacola are allways welcome here

Tony Greenway
02-19-2009, 8:33 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. As a lot of you already know, having a loved one in the armed services creates a bitter/sweet situation here at home.

Ken, Mike is training in the aviation electronics field. He thinks that will lead to a promising career outside military life.

Steve, you're right, we are extremely proud of our son. My chest puffs up like a little 'Banny Rooster' whenever I talk about him.

Dave, we'll plan on dropping by next time we come down, I sure would like to give that new easy-rougher chisel you have a try. All we have to do is, figure out something to keep the womenfolk occupied a few hours while we are in the shop.........Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2009, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. As a lot of you already know, having a loved one in the armed services creates a bitter/sweet situation here at home.

Ken, Mike is training in the aviation electronics field. He thinks that will lead to a promising career outside military life.

Steve, you're right, we are extremely proud of our son. My chest puffs up like a little 'Banny Rooster' whenever I talk about him.

Dave, we'll plan on dropping by next time we come down, I sure would like to give that new easy-rougher chisel you have a try. All we have to do is, figure out something to keep the womenfolk occupied a few hours while we are in the shop.........Tony

A CC and the word "shopping" usuallly helps around my house.