PDA

View Full Version : Bearings inside Router

Russ Filtz
07-09-2004, 9:33 AM
I've got a PC 691 router motor that runs fine, but as it spins down and comes to a stop it squeeks like a large mouse! I figured it was normal until I got a second motor for the router table and it's as quiet as a church mouse when stopping.

I assume I need to clean/regrease some bearings inside? Haven't cracked open the case yet and was wondering if this is going to be an easy task or not, and if this is common. The router has had some normal home shop use, nothing heavy, but is maybe 4-5 yrs old. Does the grease get old and dry? Also what to use, high-temp auto bearing grease OK?

Joseph N. Myers
07-09-2004, 9:51 AM
Russ,

I'm sure there are some SMC's out there that know what your problem is. Meanwhile, why don't you call Porter-Cable at 888-848-5175 and see what they say. You'll be automatically transferred to the closest PC store near you.

My PC store is only 5 miles away and have had excellent luck both by phone and in person. And there repair prices are very reasonable.

Regards, Joe

Russ Filtz
07-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Got my answer at the local PC shop, thanks for the tip! Turns out the bearings are sealed and run about $25 or so a pair, plus $20 or so install. You can DIY if so inclined, but may require somew ork to get them out. They advised just to run it as-is until they really get bad and then changeout.

Mark Singer
07-10-2004, 11:13 AM
I have gone through a few in my PC693