PDA

View Full Version : incra Jig LS Positioner

Walt D Billings
02-18-2009, 12:38 AM
I have a incra Jig LS Positioner 17'' That I just got about a week or two ago. I'm having trouble with the half blind dovetails. the rabbit cut is deeper than the tail cuts. And there is a gap on the inside of the joint I'm using 1/2 wood and 1/2" 14 degree dovetail bit and Template 21.

The bit height stays the same the direction of the wood changes.

I hope you can give me an idea on how to correct this

Brent Ring
02-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I have a incra Jig LS Positioner 17'' That I just got about a week or two ago. I'm having trouble with the half blind dovetails. the rabbit cut is deeper than the tail cuts. And there is a gap on the inside of the joint I'm using 1/2 wood and 1/2" 14 degree dovetail bit and Template 21.

The bit height stays the same the direction of the wood changes.

I hope you can give me an idea on how to correct this

My experience has been to practice with some samples before final stock. Attaching some photos of the problems would help. I love my Incra jig, but it takes some getting used to.

Send in some pics and we might be able to help!

Dewey Torres
02-18-2009, 9:55 PM
Creeker Bill Wyko gave me the best advice ever on this jig:

Watch the video over and over and read the instructions time and time again.

Every time I watch the video I seem to learn something new.

Guy Germaine
02-19-2009, 6:36 AM
A picture would tell us a lot. When you cut the rabbet, are you standing the board on end? You should stand the board on its end, with the inside of the piece up against the fence.
When I cut half-blinds with mine, I always cut the pins first, then the tails. Once those are done, I usually just "sneak" up on the rabbet until the joint fits together flush. Remember, you're using a dovetail bit to make the entire joint. There will be a small gap on the inside of the joint, simply because of the shape of the dovetail bit.