PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0623X Sliding Table Saw

ed vitanovec
02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Hello everyone! I have really enjoyed reading all the information you all post. I am a home hobbiest looking to possibly replace my unisaw with a sliding table saw or maybe upgrading the Unisaw to include a sliding table like the Jessem or Laguna. I did a search on the Grizzly and saw an old post, I was wondering if anyone has bought one or has seen one in person. I would like to hear about the quality and performance of this machine. I live about a 1000 miles from the nearest Grizzly warehouse and it is very hard for me to buy a tool like this site unseen. Also what are the benefits of having the slider right next to the blade verses adding a Jessem to my Unisaw and having some land between the blade and slider?

Regards!
Ed

Gregory Stahl
02-18-2009, 12:59 AM
I called Grizzly and asked about it. Not a single person has returned the registration card that allows them to give your name out as a reference.

So, thought I would go with the Laguna TSS, which I was wanting anyway. Unfortunately, I cannot get my salesman to give me the time of day even though I have bought from them in the recent past, so that is no-longer a potential candidate.

If Grizzly would let me test drive this machine for a couple weeks and return it if I wasn't happy I would buy it tomorrow!

Best, Greg

Mike Wilkins
02-18-2009, 9:08 AM
I was in the same boat as you for a while. I wanted a slider for many reasons, including safety and ease of cutting sheet goods. I also had my eyes on the Laguna TSS, and was leaning in that direction, until last fall. After the big Atlanta Wood and Machinery show(which I could not attend), Laguna began to market the Laguna Pro series of machines, with 3 different lengths of sliding carriages. I recently took delivery of the Laguna Pro 1600 to replace my 1964 Rockwell/Unisaw, and took a giant leap forward. Give them a call for some more info, or better, go to the website and look under panelsaws. As soon as I get some more personal time on the machine and figure out this picture posting thing, I will post a review here and give all a series of pros/cons, likes/dislikes about the machine.

Paul B. Cresti
02-19-2009, 9:08 AM
I would like to hear about others impressions of this saw as well. It appears to be a decent looking machine. I have some reservations of some of its functions only because I am use to large industrial sliders that I have used & continue to use. There are a lot of "new" offerings of sliders out there these days. Do check out the less known companies like Rojek, Casadei, Kufo, Silver, etc... Now some of these are probably more known in other parts of the world in comparison to our "usual" suspects here.

At first I had serious adversion to these "imposter" sliders ;) and in some ways I guess I still do but it sure is nice that the lower cost versions are now becoming afforadable to the normal woodworker. These format style sliders are great and they offer so many inherent safety features that things like SawStop are not needed IMHO. Create a jig or two for yourself and WOW you have an entirely new woodworking machine/system.

Jim Becker
02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
My only reservation with the design is the short slider. That wouldn't work for me since I use my slider for straight-line ripping a lot, but for many other folks, it will be a good fit for their individual needs. I have shared a lot of the same thoughts as Paul over time, but really am happy that this type of machinery design is finally becoming more affordable and available to more woodworkers. A format slider with the wagon right up to the blade is a much, much superior solution than the typical add-on "sliding table" that many folks have added to typical cabinet saws over time. Much more useful and in some respects safer when working with smaller workpieces.