PDA

View Full Version : Pre-gloat....

Gary Whitt
07-09-2004, 9:03 AM
My new Jet 6" jointer will be joining my stable this afternoon! :p
I needed it to make myself build wall mounted cabinets (more projects!) to free up some floor space.
My massive, cavernous 12x12 shop will welcome it with open doors... :rolleyes:
I'll take pics as I assemble it. Depending on the outcome, some may be posted later than sooner.
If any of you have assembled one, please advise me on some don't's.
I was told by one gentleman that I will probably learn at least one new curse word and will receive at least two new bruises/cuts/abrasions.
Is this true???? :confused:

Rich Konopka
07-09-2004, 9:09 AM
Congrats !! I'm not sure it is a Pre-Gloat but maybe a a new Toy Alert :rolleyes:.

Anyways, having recently completed assembly of a Delta 8" DJ20 make sure you have some WD40 for cleaning her up, keep the protection on the knives for they are sharp, and have fun !!

Cheers

Jim Becker
07-09-2004, 9:32 AM
Congratulations on your new Jet jointer, Gary! It's a fine tool and you will find that assembly is a "piece of cake". Three bolts is all it takes to put the tool on the base. If you plan on using a mobile base...assemble the tool on the mobile base--you don't want to be liftin' it later! I enjoyed mine for four years and it's current owner is likely to be enjoying it, too.

You might want to check out an article I have on my site about the little "safety" device that limits the bed travel. I don't necessary suggest you remove it, but the article will reinforce why you need to remember it's there should you drop the infeed table beyond a certain point! http://sawsndust.com/a-jetjointerfix.htm

Bart Leetch
07-09-2004, 9:58 AM
Don't lift the machine by the beds to set it on the base.

Mike Wilkins
07-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Congrats on the new jointer. I have had a Jet 6" jointer for about 8 years
and it has performed flawlessly. Mine is the one with the blue paint job.
And with a small shop to work in you are going to need a mobile base. I made
the one in the Wood Magazine but most any commercially made base will
work.
Good luck and watch those fingers.