PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to ship

Dave Lehnert
02-17-2009, 9:52 PM
I often send small packages. Who has the best rates. UPS, FedEx , USPS or they all about the same price?

I have only used USPS in the past.

Kev Godwin
02-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Dave,
I have to send out several various sized packages every week and have found there is a price difference depending on: time needed for delivery, weight of package, size of package, and shape of package.

Since I have to send out all different sizes, I have sent identical packages via UPS, Fed-Ex, and the USPS. I found Fed-Ex and UPS to be very comparable for like packages. The big variable is the Postal Service compared to the other two. Some packages will be much less cost (especially the smaller mail type packages) with the USPS whereas larger ones tend to be less costly with the delivery companies.

Try similar packages both ways and you'll quickly find the best deals. Last year I saved my business a little over $1000. by using the right carrier as compared to using only one.:)

I also know the UPS stores will also give you a comparison quote to send it via their UPS delivery compared to USPS as a courtesy at not cost.
Kev

Mike Henderson
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
For the shipments I've made, USPS has been the lowest cost, but if you need insurance, it's extra. With UPS you get $100 insurance free.

I usually ship priority mail with delivery confirmation and the post office loses VERY few of those packages. Note: if you get your postage online, the delivery confirmation is free.

Mike

Tom Veatch
02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
It's easy enought on their websites to enter the pertinent data (size, weight, etc.) and get a quote so you can easily compare the costs for any given shipment.

David G Baker
02-17-2009, 11:45 PM
I use the USPS Priority Mail service and I use their online site because it saves me some money over taking the packages to the Post Office. Sometimes Priority Mail is even cheaper than First Class. The Flat Rate boxes may be cheaper if you are going to ship very heavy items that are small enough to fit in their boxes. Another plus for the Priority Mail is that the boxes are free.
If I have heavier large packages I use UPS because on the larger items they are cheaper than the Post Office but I have to drive 30 miles to drop them off at the UPS pickup point.

Bob Moyer
02-18-2009, 7:26 AM
If your items are heavy but still small; do not discount using the flat rate boxes.

Matt Campbell
02-18-2009, 7:56 AM
When I shipped small amounts of lumber (less than 20 BF), I used Fedex because they were the least expensive.

Mark Patoka
02-18-2009, 9:36 AM
Like the others have said, several factors will make one of the "Big 3" cheaper than the others at any given time. I ship 1-2 packages per week and always compare prices using their websites. Using their websites, you can have a price quote in 5 minutes.

USPS is good with free package pickup, reduced postage and free delivery confirmation if purchased online.

FedEx is usually best price for large and/or heavier items.

Shop and compare. I've seen differences of as much as $5-10 just on a 10# package shipped cross-country.