PDA

View Full Version : Just one of those days

Gary Herrmann
02-17-2009, 9:30 PM
Long day at work. I'm running one of those seemingly endless projects with seemingly endless issues.

Come home, take my son to the library, help with homework, go downstairs. A bit of turning will help me unwind. Or so you'd think...

The wife is down there talking to me from a safe distance at first while I drill a hole in one piece so I can attach the tenon on another piece to it. Correct depth and all. Some how I manage to use the wrong size bit. Ugh. I'll think about that one later.

Ok, I've been meaning to try some hollowing. Shape the outside, form the tenon. Nice shape. I like it. Get my beater spade bits out. Drill a hole through the middle. I want to leave my self maybe 1/4" on the bottom for smoothing and shaping.

Pull the bit out. Look at it. Remember that this particular bit has a very long lead point. Unchuck it. Stick it in the hole, pinch the shaft where it comes out. Lay it on top of the form. Yep. I'll have a hole in the bottom when I'm done.

Sometimes I guess you're just more mentally tired than you thought. Time for an adult beverage and a non-woodworking related book.

Maybe I'll do some flatwork tomorrow...

Brian Effinger
02-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Yup, sometimes its best to just walk away, and leave it for another day.

Hope you get some rest, it sounds like you need it.

Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Some days are like that!

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Gary - at least you had enough sense to call it quits for the day! Hopefully you can get back to the shop again soon - after catching up on some rest!

Jim Kountz
02-18-2009, 1:21 AM
You'll have days like that!! I've had similar things happen and you did the right thing walking away for the day. Start again with fresh eyes and heart!!

alex carey
02-18-2009, 1:37 AM
I've had a day or two like that. It certainly is frustrating. Looks like you quit before you started punching holes in walls. I haven't myself done that but I have certainly gotten close.

Greg Ketell
02-18-2009, 1:52 AM
Ouch, days like that definitely happen. A couple of "stiff" beverages help make you forget.

I couple of ideas...

To save your hollow form you could use a Forstner bit from the other side and put in a contrasting plug and then add a ring on the lip of the same stuff.

For the hole in the other piece, stuff it with a dowel and use that as the center for your proper sized bit.

I hope tomorrow goes better for you!
GK

Steve Campbell
02-18-2009, 8:28 AM
Gary I know just what you mean. I used to make a few wooden models of cars and trucks. I found out a while ago that if I wasn't in the right frame of mind I would make dumb little mistakes. After that I just start working on something else till my mind gets "straight" again.
Now that I have started turning I don't seem to get much flat work done at all.

Steve