PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up.

Toney Robertson
02-17-2009, 8:25 PM
I was turning a very nice piece of spalted maple (what else!). I thought it was pretty dry (famous last words) so I did not do the 10% thing.

Well as you can guess it warped so much that I can not turn it back flat. I could handle the warp if I would have turned it thinner. I had left it about 1/2" thick.

My question is: Would reintroducing moisture flatten it at all?

By the way it is a crotch piece if that makes any difference.

Toney

PS. I will take any and all advice. I really want to save this piece.

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2009, 9:12 PM
What do you have to lose? If the choice is soaking it in water or tossing it - get it wet! Hope it swells up enough you can turn it thinner - then let it warp!

Let us know if it works!

charlie knighton
02-17-2009, 9:23 PM
depends how big the warp area is, you could have a void area when making it round again, if this void is too large could be dangerous :eek: but if it is inch or two you have a form with a void :), not natural but you could burn the edges of void to make it more natural looking :D

Allen Neighbors
02-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Toney, I don't know what to tell you about how to save this one; but I can tell you what I do to keep it from happening to me... well... that is, if I know it's wet (I do understand that you did say you thought it was dry- sometimes you just can't dodge the bullet).
When I turn something that is wet... and I want to turn it to completed thinness... I keep it wet with soapy water, with an old 409 bottle filled with a mixture of Ivory Dishwashing Liquid and water.
That way, I can finish turning all of it before it warps.