PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl signs

bob pfohler
02-17-2009, 6:49 PM
I need to replace some vinyl signs at a museum and I don't have a vinyl printer.

The substrate supplied to me is 8"x10" aluminum plate. I was going to print the signs on standard paper, adhere it to the substrate with some type of adhesive and then cover with an overlaminate.

Has anyone done this type of work and can offer some advice on method or products?

Joe Pelonio
02-18-2009, 8:09 AM
When the text is too small, or image to detailed for vinyl, what we normally do is print the signs on adhesive backed vinyl, then apply to the substrate. Many modern large format printers use solvent based inks that require no overlaminate. What you are suggesting will work, you can laminate it using clear vinyl, available at sign supplies. A standard office inkjet print will fade rather quickly, so even indoors it will not last long.

AL Ursich
02-18-2009, 3:52 PM
I print on Aluminum plate with Sublimation. It must be a coated aluminum and is usually a white plate and a full color image can be printed on the plate. I have .040 thick and thinner plate.

Sublimation is the print on a T Shirt Transfer Paper in a heat press technology.

AL

Mike Null
02-19-2009, 7:16 AM
I am quoting a job for a stadium using bright aluminum and black laser sublimation.

Doug Bergstrom
02-20-2009, 2:03 PM
Your paper method will work as long as this no moisture where the signs are going. Typically you laminated and put adhesive backing on all in one step on a laminator then just peel and stick. Or you can print on adhesive vinyl with a solvent printer and mount.

AL Ursich
02-20-2009, 2:13 PM
Black Laser Sublimation is a good product. No plugged ink problems....

I also have the CLTT Color Laser Toner Transfer too but the learning curve has me still producing junk. A fine balance between heat and pressure and peel time.

CLTT is regular Color Laser Toner and special coated paper like teflon and you press like Sublimation and the toner transfers to the wood, plastic, glass, ceramic. You need a Laser Printer with a tray for heavy paper printing.

AL

Lucas van der Kroon
04-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I print on Aluminum plate with Sublimation. It must be a coated aluminum and is usually a white plate and a full color image can be printed on the plate. I have .040 thick and thinner plate.

Sublimation is the print on a T Shirt Transfer Paper in a heat press technology.

AL

Hi AL,

Just a note about your sign, the correct (more polite) sentence in Spanish is:

'Puertas cierran en ambas direcciones
Mantengan manos y brazos fuera
de las puertas al cerrarse'

Blue is just 'cosmethics', Red is ortographic: 'Puertas', not 'Purertas'

Just in case you have to do another batch ;)