PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster 38" Drum Sander

Don L Johnson
02-17-2009, 6:45 PM
Has anyone with this drum sander enlarged the exhaust port larger than the 5" it comes with? If so, did it help and how did you do it? Thanks,

Leigh Betsch
02-17-2009, 7:22 PM
I've been thinking about the same thing. I haven't done it yet, still working on building my DC.

Peter Gregory
02-17-2009, 8:19 PM
I have one, on a 3hp cyclone. Dust collection doesn't seem to be a problem so far. Never considered needing a bigger port.

Are you having trouble, or just thinking about what ifs?

Leigh Betsch
02-17-2009, 11:35 PM
I can't speak for Don but when I feed the wood in the forward feed direction the wood comes out clean, when I reversed the direction of feed there is a lot of dust on the wood that the dust collector does not pick up. I know my dust collector is totally inadequate and I'm in the process of building a better dust collection system, but if that doesn't do it I plan to build a 6"" hood to match the new hose drop. So Peter do you see dust left on the wood in the reverse feed direction?

Don L Johnson
02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
I have the dust on the reverse motion as well. I have a 3 hp cyclone, but it is "temporarily" connected via a 4" hose. The hose may be the issue, but I too am in the process of finalizing a dc system that hooks up to the Griz and that's why my original question. Thanks for the responses.

Peter Gregory
02-18-2009, 1:02 AM
I have saw dust on the wood when I reverse as well. The design of the port is the problem there. When you reverse, the drum is between the dust port and the saw dust. It doesn't fly out of my machine and I'm not getting dust on the floor. I don't view the dust sitting on the board a problem in reverse. I willing to bet it doesn't matter if you make the port 10", you are going to have dust on there in reverse.

Seems like not using the reverse is the answer? Doesn't bother me with oak and cherry, might have to think it over if I was sanding something more exotic?

Ed Labadie
02-18-2009, 8:59 AM
I have the dust on the reverse motion as well. I have a 3 hp cyclone, but it is "temporarily" connected via a 4" hose. The hose may be the issue, but I too am in the process of finalizing a dc system that hooks up to the Griz and that's why my original question. Thanks for the responses.

It will always leave dust if you sand in reverse. This is due to the design of the collection funnel on the sander.
I gave up using reverse long ago.

IMO, the reverse is nice as a safety feature, otherwise it's a gimmick.

Ed