PDA

View Full Version : Glue Stain on Table Saw Top

larry cronkite
02-17-2009, 5:20 PM
I was using my table saw as an assembly table and using a sheet of butcher paper under the first glue up. When I removed the assembly and the butcher paper there was a dark stain on the cast iron TS top where the glue had squeezed out. Any ideas on removing this stain? Steel wool doesn't seem to touch it.

David DeCristoforo
02-17-2009, 6:09 PM
The best way to keep from getting stains and other "bruises" on your tools is to never use 'em. So maybe you could look at this stain as a "badge". No? Makes you gasp? Then try a bit of mineral spirits with your steel wool. If it doesn't work, you could just cover the whole top with glue which would make everything the same color again...

Chip Lindley
02-17-2009, 6:19 PM
I use mineral spirits and the *red* scotch-brite abrasive pad in an old-fashioned orbital sander to polish out cast iron stains. Use clear plastic between the abrasive and sander pad! This make take a while but it works!

Tony Bilello
02-17-2009, 6:29 PM
David has the solution.

I live with stains on my TS and dont give it a thought. It's my project that counts, not the tools that create them. I only care that I dont get stains on my projects.
Now, I use my TS outfeed table for glue up and assembly. I started using butcher paper 25 years ago. I mount it under the outfeed table.

Bruce Page
02-17-2009, 6:31 PM
WD-40 or mineral spirits and the grey Scotch-Brite is my preferred method.

I picked up a small vinyl covered table cloth from Hobby Lobby that I throw on my TS or bench whenever I’m doing finishing, glue-ups etc. The thing is darn near indestructible and was dirt cheap.

larry cronkite
02-17-2009, 7:45 PM
Thanks for the hints and comments. If I am unable to remove the stains from my SawStop I will consider them as a Badge of Progress!

Two sheets of butcher paper work great NNTAMHIKT (No Need To Ask Me How I Know That).

Charles Robertson
02-17-2009, 8:01 PM
You only worry about rust not stains. Just keep the top clean and waxed. Pristeen tools belong in show rooms, not workshops.

Bob Rufener
02-17-2009, 9:06 PM
Larry, Instead of using butcher paper, you might consider using waxed paper. The blue won't "leak" through and the glue won't stick to it.

Dan Lee
02-17-2009, 9:25 PM
I buy a role of this poly coated paper every 2-3 years

http://www.uline.com/BL_1957/Poly-Coated-Kraft

hank dekeyser
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm afraid to ask if this is a serious discussion or you all are joking ?

Like Charles said - pretty tools belong on display - Kinda like if a bird poops on your car - **it happens

David DeCristoforo
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
"... is a serious discussion or you all are joking ?"

Well, I was joking. Except the part about covering the whole saw top with glue. I was serious about that.....

glenn bradley
02-17-2009, 10:27 PM
If you get deep shadows and they bother you, Boeshield's Rust Free has removed anything I have ever worried about. I do have scars and badges of honor on my tools but that doesn't mean they have to look thrashed. I have the traditional Biesemeyer fence stripe and various signs of serious use but I draw the line at spills (BTW, that's what your bench is for) :eek:.

I'm sure quite a few of the Neanders would cringe at the idea of leaving a dark shadow across the face of their DT saw or their favorite smoother. Why should my jointer tables get any less respect ;).

John Keeton
02-18-2009, 7:19 AM
You only worry about rust not stains.Actually, I think the stains are just that - rust or corrosion from the moisture in the glue - much the same as leaving a spot of water on there for awhile. That being said, I just try to make sure all the stains on my TS make a pleasing and artistic display:D

I do, however, like the idea of the roll of paper. That is so fundamentally simple I can't believe it hasn't come up before. My outfeed table will have one of these soon!

Tony Bilello
02-18-2009, 8:57 AM
I buy the butcher paper at Sams Club.
I also spray lacquer on a lazy susan in that same area. The paper covers the immediate area and my table saw. One roll will last a very long time.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-18-2009, 9:12 AM
cast iron is porous. The "stain" that you'll never remove is deeper than the surface. Hey it's a tool~!! If it weren't for using, it'd be useless. So use it.

If glue stains on your saw bother you put something down before doing glue ups on it. Cause it's going to happen.

John Keeton
02-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I buy the butcher paper at Sams Club.
I also spray lacquer on a lazy susan in that same area. The paper covers the immediate area and my table saw. One roll will last a very long time.Thanks, Tony! That will be on my next shopping list.

Andy Pratt
02-19-2009, 2:19 PM
I've used wax paper and still have gotten them, seems like anything too thin somehow causes a stain if it sits there a while, even if it is waterproof. I use the boeshield too and it definitely works well, got rid of a huge arm shaped stain I had two years ago when a sweaty neighbor leaned on it before I went on vacation. I can live with all the little stains, but I don't want the big oddball ones hanging around for the next 50 years, so the boeshield works well. The pump cap on it malfunctioned on mine though, which is fairly annoying with this caustic a substance.

Andy

James Hart
02-19-2009, 2:27 PM
The best way to keep from getting stains and other "bruises" on your tools is to never use 'em. So maybe you could look at this stain as a "badge". No? Makes you gasp? Then try a bit of mineral spirits with your steel wool. If it doesn't work, you could just cover the whole top with glue which would make everything the same color again...

David,

That's got to be the best response of all time.

A few years ago I offered the house painters use of my extra long, decked out Little Giant. I had paid over $500 for it one night after watching an infomercial.

They were afraid they would get paint on it. I said 'please do', I'm embarrassed enough having paid that much for a ladder, it's worse that it looks like it's never been used.

jim

Chris Gombola
02-19-2009, 2:30 PM
I did the same thing on my contractor saw a few years ago. I went at it with all kinds of chemicals and abrasives and they did nothing, it was too deep. I learned to live with it and it was a good reminder to not do glue ups on my TS top!! I do them on the kitchen table now during the colder months :D

Herbert Wallace
02-19-2009, 2:44 PM
I pick up old campaign signs, the 4x8 plastic ones. They are great to cover your assembly table with, and glue dosn't stick to it. stays where you put it too.

Neal Clayton
02-19-2009, 2:55 PM
I pick up old campaign signs, the 4x8 plastic ones. They are great to cover your assembly table with, and glue dosn't stick to it. stays where you put it too.

was just about to post the same thing.

my stepsister has a sign/frame shop. i use the culls for putting all kinds of stuff on ;).

great for dividers between sheets of glass too.

Prashun Patel
02-19-2009, 3:00 PM
I was using my table saw as an assembly table and using a sheet of butcher paper under the first glue up. When I removed the assembly and the butcher paper there was a dark stain on the cast iron TS top where the glue had squeezed out. Any ideas on removing this stain? Steel wool doesn't seem to touch it.

Try nail polish remover. The acetone in it will dissolve many things. Be careful with it.

While I respect badges of honor, a gleaming clean tablesaw top is a beautiful thing, so i don't blame ya for wanting to get it clean.

I've also had good luck grinding out all manner of blemishes and stains with an angle grinder and a wire cup.

Alex Shanku
02-19-2009, 3:28 PM
Try nail polish remover. The acetone in it will dissolve many things. Be careful with it.

While I respect badges of honor, a gleaming clean tablesaw top is a beautiful thing, so i don't blame ya for wanting to get it clean.

I've also had good luck grinding out all manner of blemishes and stains with an angle grinder and a wire cup.

:eek: Stay away from my machined surfaces!!!!

Some 220grit, sure. A cup and grinder.....ill pass.

Tony Bilello
02-19-2009, 3:32 PM
Your reply...."Try nail polish remover" is a little presumptious.
Just because Larry wants a clean table saw surface does not imply he wears nail polish. :) LOL.

David DeCristoforo
02-19-2009, 4:01 PM
"..a gleaming clean tablesaw top is a beautiful thing, so i don't blame ya for wanting to get it clean..."

I would have to agree. However, if one feels this way then one should refrain from using their "gleaming clean, beautiful" machined cast iron surfaces as assembly tables in the first place. Just remember...you can have your cake or you can eat it....

Peter Quadarella
02-19-2009, 8:59 PM
I saw someone mention Boeshield Rust Free, so I thought I'd add that that stuff seems to make it's own stains. I don't use it anymore because I prefer the glue stains - more character.