PDA

View Full Version : Need Home Made Skew Grinding Jig

Richard Madison
02-17-2009, 5:16 PM
About 15-20 years ago I ground the skew (that came with mono-tube Craftsman) into a round nose scraper. Just realized that I haven't used that scraper for many years and decided to grind it back into a skew and learn to use it. Have got it looking approximately skew-like, touched up the edge with diamond hone, and find that it does indeed leave a remarkably smooth finish as all have said. Now would like to refine the shape a bit and wonder if anyone out there has a home made sharpening jig that works for this? Could probably design one myself, but maybe no need to reinvent the wheel. I do not intend to buy a jig or a new skew at this time. Thanks for your help.

Steve Mawson
02-17-2009, 5:31 PM
Several designs on the web. Google works to do the search. I believe I have seen some on this site as well.

Scott Conners
02-17-2009, 6:21 PM
Honestly unless it's an oval profile I find a platform in front of the grinding wheel set to the proper angle to be more useful on skews than my oneway jig. The common rule of thumb is to grind the bevel at an angle that will make the bevel length 1.5 times the thickness of the metal. I prefer a curved Alan Lacer type grind on my larger skews, so a jig doesn't help anyway.

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2009, 7:16 PM
I agree with Scott - the grinder platform works great!

Kyle Iwamoto
02-17-2009, 7:24 PM
I agree, buy/borrow the Alan Lacer Skew Chisel DVD. It's a great DVD and he shows you how to sharpen. I've been trying to learn the skew. I can make beads. But they look different on each side..... I usually still rely on my 80 grit skew.

Wyatt Holm
02-17-2009, 7:38 PM
I use my wolverine platform. If you don't have one and that is all you need, you could just get 1 base, and the platform.

Richard Madison
02-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys. After looking at one rather fancy jig online, I made a simple wood guide block that slides on the standard grinder tool rest. Think it will do just fine.