PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's?

Bob Lasley
07-09-2004, 8:39 AM
Good Friday Morning All,

I'm still alive and kicking! I haven't been home on a weekend in over a month and have been busy as a one-armed paper hanger. Summertime has definately arrived in Okieland as it is hot and humid. Will spend the mornings this weekend doing yard work and then I hope to crank up the AC in the shop and get it straightened back up so I can do a little woodworking. I think Saturday evening LOML and I are going to go to the Arena Football game here in town.

What's on your agenda this weekend?

Have a great weekend everyone,
Bob

Brian Riley
07-09-2004, 8:47 AM
Hey Bob.....

Well, I need to spend the first couple hours or so getting the shop back into a respectable condition after the last project. Then I need to crank out a couple picture frames for a buddy.

Of course all this is dependent on the "honey do" list.

Saturday evening will be a fine cigar, steak on the grill and great company. We have the grandkids this weekend which is always a joy.

Brian

Bart Sharp
07-09-2004, 8:47 AM
Keep your fingers crossed, we had a lady come look at the house last night who seemed very interested. I love my house, it's killing me to sell it!

Tomorrow morning I am going to a local vehicle auction to try to land a cheap bike for cruising campus, then back to work on the bathroom. Hopefully I can get the rest of the backerboard in and the joints taped so that I will be ready for tile.

Then Monday I drive up to Indiana to bring my girls back home. Woohoo!

Rich Konopka
07-09-2004, 8:55 AM
Headed to the Beautiful Rhode Island Beaches today. Perfect weather of 80 degrees and no humidity. The rest of the weekend will be spent in the yard preparing for a new shed. Fireworks on Saturday night !! and some for shop time as well.

Have a great weekend !!

Gary Whitt
07-09-2004, 8:57 AM
Well.....
Put together and use my new Jet 6" jointer! :D :D (GLOAT)
Spray and take care of the roses.
Cut grass. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Take my niece and nephew to a rodeo on Saturday night. :eek:

Jim Becker
07-09-2004, 9:01 AM
In a word, I'll be doing electrical, insulation, drywall and trim work since the big, 150" wide bay window off the kitchen finally got replaced yesterday after a day's delay. I'll be posting a pictorial on that in the OT forum when I get the opportunity. Other than that, since yesterday was Dr SWMBO's 45th birthday, I'll be taking her and my dad out for a nice dinner on Saturday night. (Actually the second birthday dinner since I cooked a nice one last night for the occasion, including the "first" local corn of the season)

Have a great weekend!

Steve Jenkins
07-09-2004, 9:19 AM
Sat. I'm headed for the great NW. I'll be there for Sophies BBQ on the 17th. Steve

Keith Starosta
07-09-2004, 9:19 AM
If all goes well, I'm going to dig all the footers for the new deck, just off the pool. The plans I've drawn up say it's going to be about a 350 sq. foot deck. Should be interesting. I've never actually built a deck before, so I'm just hoping to get past the first inspection! But, I've got my handy-dandy Stafford County Code Requirements book right here, so I should be good to go!

Keith

Todd Burch
07-09-2004, 9:26 AM
This afternoon, picking up a couple cabinet carcasses from the furniture strippers place that I applied the wrong color to. Ugg. This weekend, putting a finish back on them!

Woodworker's Club of Houston Meeting on Saturday (www.wwch.org). Saturday afternoon, a sales call. I'm working on a couple cherry blanket chests out of a client's load of cherry wood from her homestead, so I'll be spending a lot of time mixing up and applying epoxy to worm holes, splits and voids to give it integrity.

Sunday, church and relaxation. Maybe a little shop time too...

Bob Hovde
07-09-2004, 9:36 AM
In a word, I'll be doing electrical, insulation, drywall and trim work since the big, 150" wide bay window off the kitchen finally got replaced yesterday after a day's delay. I'll be posting a pictorial on that in the OT forum when I get the opportunity. Other than that, since yesterday was Dr SWMBO's 45th birthday, I'll be taking her and my dad out for a nice dinner on Saturday night. (Actually the second birthday dinner since I cooked a nice one last night for the occasion, including the "first" local corn of the season)

Have a great weekend!

Jim,

First, it's dangerous to use numbers in conjunction with the word "birthday" when it applies to the other half of a heretofore peaceful relationship. Second, "45" seems like a GLOAT to some of us old timers! :)

Have a great weekend!

Bob

Jim Becker
07-09-2004, 9:40 AM
First, it's dangerous to use numbers in conjunction with the word "birthday" when it applies to the other half of a heretofore peaceful relationship. Second, "45" seems like a GLOAT to some of us old timers!
True, sometimes, but I got her by two years and she was just saying when she left for work that she was going to stop at the drug store and pick up some stronger reading glasses since she's now "older"... :D I, of course, replied that was preposterous and should could just borrow mine. :eek: I guess I'm cooking again tonight....;)

Dan Mages
07-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Well.....
Put together and use my new Jet 6" jointer! :D :D (GLOAT)
Spray and take care of the roses.
Cut grass. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Take my niece and nephew to a rodeo on Saturday night. :eek:

It sounds like you would like my robot mower. All I have to do is put it in the yard, turn on the invisible fence and push start. It then zig zags across my yard for 2 hours while I sit back and injoy a beer. (gloat!)

But this weekend will be consumed with some finish painting and trimming the shrubs.

Dan

Jim Becker
07-09-2004, 10:21 AM
It sounds like you would like my robot mower. All I have to do is put it in the yard, turn on the invisible fence and push start. It then zig zags across my yard for 2 hours while I sit back and injoy a beer.
LOL! Now, we have a RoomBa robotic floor sweeper (really keeps up with the stuff that our birds fling about as well as dust bunnies under the bed) but this is the first I've seen the idea go outdoors! Very kewel! Of course, it's not the same as tooling around a big, burly diesel tractor, argh, argh, argh...:p (And mine has a cup-holder...for non-alcoholic beverages, of course) But the idea of sitting back and watching the lawn being magically mowed is a nice one!

Dan Mages
07-09-2004, 10:45 AM
LOL! Now, we have a RoomBa robotic floor sweeper (really keeps up with the stuff that our birds fling about as well as dust bunnies under the bed) but this is the first I've seen the idea go outdoors! Very kewel! Of course, it's not the same as tooling around a big, burly diesel tractor, argh, argh, argh...:p (And mine has a cup-holder...for non-alcoholic beverages, of course) But the idea of sitting back and watching the lawn being magically mowed is a nice one!

Its only $500, so it is comparable with most top quality mowers. It is battery powered, so there is no gas or oils to mess with and it is envronmentally friendly. It is very quiet, so I can mow the lawn at 9:30 at night. People see this thing zipping around my front yard and give it strange stares wondering what it is! Priceless! Granted, I do have to touch up some areas with the manual mode, but it sure beats mowing for 2 hours!

One project I am working on with it is a wireless camera attachment. It will beam its progress to my TV where I will watch it through picture-in-picture.

Dan

Gary Whitt
07-09-2004, 10:51 AM
"Its only $500, so it is comparable with most top quality mowers. It is battery powered, so there is no gas or oils to mess with and it is envronmentally friendly. It is very quiet, so I can mow the lawn at 9:30 at night. People see this thing zipping around my front yard and give it strange stares wondering what it is! Priceless! Granted, I do have to touch up some areas with the manual mode, but it sure beats mowing for 2 hours!
One project I am working on with it is a wireless camera attachment. It will beam its progress to my TV where I will watch it through picture-in-picture."

Technology.....
Ya gotta luv it! :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
07-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Well, our 3-week vacation starts today at 5 PM! :D

On Monday, July 12, the Wife is flying out to Belgrade, Yugoslavia (where she is from and her parents/brother still reside) and she will return on Thursday, July 22. She will also return with our daughter who thanks to our stingy embassy, was supposed to be back here on June 13th with FIL in tow. It has be agonizing waiting for my little girl to come back home to daddy! :(

Anyway, while the wifey is away, I'll be working on the garage remodel with fervor and hope to get it more or less completed. I still need to empty some shelves in the garage and tear down all the shelves and cabinets. Next, I need to remove most of the drywall and probably all the old insulation.

After that, I need to add furring strips to one wall that has some ugly, nasty gas lines hanging on it (hope to push the gas lines back a bit) so that I can drywall over the gas lines.

After that, it will be electrical time! This should be fun. After that, insulation time. This should not be fun. After that, drywall time. This should really not be fun. I will need to rent one of those drywall hanger dolly thingies for a couple days, probably. Maybe I'll try and get some 4x12 drywall delivered so things go a bit faster and I have less joints to tape although I'm think I may not even tape the joints!! ha, ha...most likely will....

In between all that stuff I need to pull some permits and get inspections done. That should all go smoothly.

I plan to post daily pictues assuming I'm making progress. I really need you guys to support me and keep me going. I will be the only one at my house for 10 solid days until the LOML and kid return on July 22. I actually have to feed myself! :eek:

Should be a glorious 10 working days of vacation! :p

Gary Whitt
07-09-2004, 11:41 AM
"I will be the only one at my house for 10 solid days until the LOML and kid return on July 22. I actually have to feed myself! :eek: "

Let's see....
Pizza Hut on Mondays
Burger King on Tuesdays
Subway on Wednesdays
Beans and franks on Saturdays
Bubble bath on Sundays!!!!
:eek: :D :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
07-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Gary, I like you...we really think alike! :D For me, I was thinking pizza (delivered of course) and a new Popeye's chicken has opened...right next to the McDonald's. I have Taco Bell, Jack-in-the-Box, and Carl's Jr. also very close buy. I only hope I work hard enough to justify the massive caloric intake I may partake in!!! :eek:

keith zimmerman
07-09-2004, 12:35 PM
With rain predicted all weekend, my main plans are to spend a lot of time either turning or sanding wood. I have two bowls and a bookshelf that need finish-sanding and their finish applied.

I also have some turning videos I want to watch, photographs to process, and webpage updates to work on.

On Sunday, I may get a chance to go see 9/11.

All that, and my daughter is going to bring me 10 boxes of my books that I need to sort through.

keithz

Frank Pellow
07-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Finally getting to put some plywood on the roof of my new workshop.

Sanding the playset that I buildt at my daughter's last year in prepartion for staining next week.

Helping a friend restore a porch on the house his dauhter recently purchased.

Mike Evertsen
07-09-2004, 12:55 PM
working on putting my shop back togeather. Last weekend got the 6'x10' addition done I can put the dust collector air compressor in there have to run the electric,ducts and pipes thru wall. The installer is coming to put direcway in today :D so I have to have some computer time to try it out.

Jim Ketron
07-09-2004, 1:54 PM
Working on the new shop hope to get all the walls up!
Jim

Scott Coffelt
07-09-2004, 4:12 PM
I figured it was coming.

Tonight my son and I are heading to Mom and Dad's. Tomoorw is a nice fun filled day with Dad and my Brother in a 3-man golf tourny for Lyon's Club.

The rest of the weekend is open.

Dennis Peacock
07-09-2004, 4:12 PM
Howdy Bob.....

Well, I guess I'll be spending some time in my shop this weekend getting ready for the new lathe to arrive towards the end of next week (if everything is on schedule)! :D

Other than that.....I'm about to begin working on an old Antique Singer Pedal Sewing machine and cabinet to rework it for a friend that wants it "re-done". I have to have it done by September, so I had better get going on it. Besides that? Trying to stay cool..!!!!

Tyler Howell
07-09-2004, 4:14 PM
Bending new 3/4" pipe for the 66. 6AWG 40 amp service. The clone at the Borg screwed up when I asked for 8 AWG and he gave me 6!!! Same Price! Thought It would take a couple weeks for the PM, it was delivered in two days. While I'm at it I'm pulling a new 240 30 amp for the shop. Should be able to heat up the PM by Sunday.:D

Always the punch list and Maybe some Creeker visiting next week.

Have a good one.

Dennis Peacock
07-09-2004, 4:16 PM
I figured it was coming.
The rest of the weekend is open.
Scott.....

Very Sorry to hear you got laid off..!!! :( :mad:

We will hope and pray for something BETTER to come your way.!! Chin-up buddy..!!!!!

Byron Trantham
07-09-2004, 4:25 PM
Still working the sewing room - Phase III. I'm working on the mulit-drawered pestals (33 drawers!). Making a Tea Cup rack for a lady in the neighborhood. Going to firends for dinner - I have to earn it by running a new 110V line in their "mechanical room." :eek:

Waymon Campbell
07-09-2004, 5:03 PM
I'm headed up to Cleveland, TX on Saturday morning. I stumbled on to a deal on rough cut 4/4 and 8/4 select walnut for $2/bf. I may take a couple hundred bf home (stealth gloat).

Greg Daves
07-09-2004, 5:51 PM
What are the odds there will be any left after you load up? I'm assuming you are talking about Cleveland just north of Houston. Or, are you referring to Cleveland further north toward Coleman/Santa Anna?

Would love to know where you are getting this from and if they will have any left for a poor Dallas boy.

GD

Waymon Campbell
07-09-2004, 6:03 PM
What are the odds there will be any left after you load up? I'm assuming you are talking about Cleveland just north of Houston. Or, are you referring to Cleveland further north toward Coleman/Santa Anna?

Would love to know where you are getting this from and if they will have any left for a poor Dallas boy.

GD

Its Ark Lumber and it is the Cleveland just north of Houston. Not sure of the quality so I'll post some more info tomorrow after I take a look.

Fred Voorhees
07-09-2004, 9:10 PM
It's been a while since I've posted any kind of weekend "shop" project. But that is changing this weekend as I got back into the shop tonight to begin a small project that will be a part of the garage renovation into a barroom. Up this weekend is a red oak pool table light that will have some black walnut inlay. Got a nice amount of it done today (Fri) after work and will continue on it for a good part of the day tomorrow before heading off for the Saturday night dirt track races. Hopefully, I will have enough done that a picture post will be called for in a day or two.

John Miliunas
07-09-2004, 9:41 PM
I will be the only one at my house for 10 solid days until the LOML and kid return on July 22. I actually have to feed myself! :eek:

Should be a glorious 10 working days of vacation! :p

Ahhhh, Chris, is that "vacation" or "diet"???!!! :D Let's see....10 days eatin' my own cookin'. Yeah, for me, that would translate into about 6 or 7 pounds lost off the old beltline! :) :cool:

Chris Padilla
07-09-2004, 9:54 PM
Well, if the diet consists of Taco Bell, Popeye's, McDonald's, Jack-in-the-Box, Carl's Jr., etc.....which direction do you think my belt line will go??? I only hope I work hard enough on the garage to justify the diet!!! :D

John Miliunas
07-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, if the diet consists of Taco Bell, Popeye's, McDonald's, Jack-in-the-Box, Carl's Jr., etc.....which direction do you think my belt line will go??? I only hope I work hard enough on the garage to justify the diet!!! :D

Ah yes...The "conveniences" of living in the big city. :rolleyes: We have none of that out here, so breakfast would probably be a cup of coffee and doughnut. Ham sandwich and a soda for lunch. Mix it up a bit and have a ham sandwich and a beer for supper. :D That also gives me a good excuse to not run anymore power tools for the evening and get some rest! :cool:

Bruce Page
07-09-2004, 10:48 PM
After spending last weekend in the Kodiak airport and knowing that I will be heading back up there on the 16th for 3 weeks, I ain't doin' nothin' this weekend! :(

Greg Daves
07-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Waymon,

I look forward to hearing what it looks like. Good luck and have a great weekend.

GD

Ed Hardin
07-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Daughter got PH D, University within 50 miles of where we live hired her straight out of the box, so I'm advised by SWIMBO that tonight I'm paying for a celebratory (if that ain't a word it auta be) dinner. Don't really mind, I just grumble to please the ladies.

Bruce Page
07-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Congrats on your daughter's achievement, mine's got 2 more years to go....

Don't really mind, I just grumble to please the ladies.Don't we all! :rolleyes:

Kevin Arceneaux
07-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Since I decided to throw my back out this weekend which curtailed my woodworking stuff, I built a new computer.

It was nice to do that, all my others, except for the Gateway my wife talked me into buying were all home brews.

New stats:
Foxcomm 600A01 MB
Athalon 2800+
512 DDR
and from my old one I moved the HD's, ATi 9700Pro, and Audigy ZS saound card.

I tested it in my simulator and increased the frames by about 120%.
Now we are having fun,

Gary Whitt
07-12-2004, 8:41 AM
Ah yes...The "conveniences" of living in the big city. :rolleyes: We have none of that out here, so breakfast would probably be a cup of coffee and doughnut. :cool:
Ah.....
That's what I'm talkin' about!!!! :D ;) :rolleyes: :eek: