PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Max S45 Bandsaw what's it worth??

Keith Palmer
02-17-2009, 3:42 PM
I just found about a Mini-max S45 18" bandsaw for sale. He says is was bought about 8 years ago in 2000. He won't give me a price and wants me to make an offer. What is it worth??

Thanks
Keith

Bob Slater
02-17-2009, 4:05 PM
Might as well start low if he wants to play that game. I would offer 1/3 of what a new one goes for (or roughly comparable) and go from there.

Bruce Page
02-17-2009, 5:14 PM
They go for $2300 today but they were a lot less 8 years ago when he bought it. I’d start somewhere around 1K.

David DeCristoforo
02-17-2009, 6:14 PM
"He won't give me a price and wants me to make an offer..."

That is such a crock. I hate it when they do that. I would ask for a price. If the guy won't give you a price, he is gaming you because he knows damn well what it's worth and is just trying to see how dumb you might be.

What is it worth??

It's worth what he can get for it. But if it were me I would never pay more than 40-50 percent of the new cost (at the time it was originally sold, not at "today's price") for used machines.

Thomas S Stockton
02-17-2009, 6:20 PM
I have one I bought about 20 years ago, good saw at the time. There are now a number of import saws that are probably as good in the $1000 to $1400 price range so I wouldn't pay a premium for the name. Comparable saws today would be the 18" from Rikon or Jet and Grizzly has some that would be also. I think 700 to $800 would be about right if it was in good shape and didn't need anything but cleaning and a blade.
These are good saws but they are not nearly as robust as the MM line minimax has. At the time I got mine mini max had two bandsaws this one and a smaller one. What they sell as their MM line are derived from the parent company's industrial saws and at the time were only available as SCMI saws.
Tom

Joe Mioux
02-17-2009, 7:20 PM
They go for $2300 today but they were a lot less 8 years ago when he bought it. I’d start somewhere around 1K.

When I bought my mm16 in 2006 for $1995, I think the S45 was selling for $1495.

joe

Joe Jensen
02-17-2009, 8:03 PM
"He won't give me a price and wants me to make an offer..."

That is such a crock. I hate it when they do that. I would ask for a price. If the guy won't give you a price, he is gaming you because he knows damn well what it's worth and is just trying to see how dumb you might be.

What is it worth??

It's worth what he can get for it. But if it were me I would never pay more than 40-50 percent of the new cost (at the time it was originally sold, not at "today's price") for used machines.

The "what do you want to pay is alwasys so funny. Answer, nothing" I had a car salesman keep pestering me one day so I told him I wanted to pay nothing. He of course said that was unreasonable, and I said, "Really, does anyone WANT to pay for a car". He didn't get it.

hank dekeyser
02-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Sounds like he doesn't want to sell it- OR, the more common condition is he's not a saleaman and either doesn't know what it's worth, or doesn't know how to ask for anything. I'd offer $500 or less - THAT WILL wake him up, when he comes back with "well thats too low" make him counter offer. Bring cash money, and have "correct change" be ready to take it home NOW. Make your offer, let him counter, then you re-counter, etc. If the seller dawdles, just tell him you got places to be and dont have time for games. Never be afraid to walk away - usually just turning away like you're going to leave is all it takes.

I love buying used tools

Dave Sabo
02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
500 sounds right. The switches on those models were crap, and the Italian motors weren't that great either. It's a stout saw, but like others have said there are some really really nice Asian imports in the 1000-1500 range today NEW with a warranty.

mike marconi
02-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I had the exact same saw paid $400 for it a couple of years ago. Sold it a year later. They're a very basic no frills saw but heavy and well made. That one looks like it has Carter guides if so thats a plus. Make sure you check the table for flatness, mine was way off. Mine ran very smooth almost vibration free. Check the tires if you have to get new ones, nobody makes a replacement, you will have to buy wider rubber ones and cut them down.

I would offer 500 and go no higher than 600.

Mike