PDA

View Full Version : Turning spalted wood?

Kirk Miller
02-17-2009, 1:52 PM
I am in the process of completing my second vase. It is on some spalted birch. I had a lot of tear out on it, which looks as though it will all sand out. Would treating this piece of wood with Polycryl have elminated these tear outs? Hopefully I will have some pics posted soon. This one looks like it will be SCHWEET!

Kirk

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2009, 2:16 PM
Kirk - I have turned quite a bit of spalted white birch and usually the only time I get tear out is when the wood is really punky or my tools get dull. I have seen where folks use thinned down poly, watered down white glue, sanding sealer, etc. - with the idea being to apply something that can firm up with wood without taking away it's ability to take a finish.

Looking forward to seeing your vase! Where in Ak are you? Lived there off and on for a few years - many, many years ago.

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2009, 2:21 PM
I generally spritz it with water or spray a little lacquer on the tear out then take a freshly sharpened gouge to make a couple of final cut. Can't wait to see your turning.

ROY DICK
02-17-2009, 3:29 PM
Kirk,
I have tried what Steve and Bernie have done and it works. I also have tried 50/50 shellac/mineral spirts, and paste wax.
When i use the 50/50 or spritz with water,I use a blow drier to help dry it out. (low speed or heat setting).
However ,I am not near Steve or Bernie when it come to this.

Try and see what works best for you.

Please keep us posted on your success.

Roy

Kirk Miller
02-17-2009, 4:04 PM
Hi everyone and thank you for the suggestions. It could very well be that my gouges were on the dull side. I am working on my sharpening skills slowly but working on it.

Looking forward to seeing your vase! Where in Ak are you? Lived there off and on for a few years - many, many years ago.[/quote]

I live in Eagle River approximately 10 miles north of Anchorage. I came up in 97 with the Air Force and knew right away I needed to retire here.

Hopefully I will get the time to finish it tonight and take some pics