PDA

View Full Version : Aaaw Nuts! 6-8 week wait on the Grizzly G0632!!

Edward Garrett
02-17-2009, 1:43 PM
Forgive the upcoming long e-mail...I just need to vent some of my heart-brake today....I think only fellow woodworkers can identify.

Several weeks ago I got the "blessing" from the LOML to begin the budgeting process for a lathe and all the fixins (in exchange for a vanity with turned legs, of course). I have been slowly doing my research here on SMC, I have read three books, researched lathes and got final approval on the budget request from the boss (LOML). ;) After a "neck and neck" race between the Jet 1642 EVS and the Grizzly G0632, I finally settled on the Grizzly. I became increasingly excited about my new tool and my new journey into turning....

So, after a long weekend with the in-laws, taking the kids skiing and re-flipping through the pages of my turning books, I was VERY EXCITED to head out on the 2-hour drive to Grizzly, PA this morning to get MY new lathe (this last day of vacation was "all mine" to get all set-up in my new endeavor). I built my order sheet on-line late last night (lathe, tools, sharpening system, etc.)....just one quick call to Grizzly at 8am to confirm what I needed was in-stock in Muncy, PA....and.... HORROR OF ALL HORRORS!!! Not only were there no G0632 in Muncy, PA, but there were NONE TO BE FOUND IN ALL OF THE US!! These lathes were on back-order until March 31st! I felt like an 8-year old who had found only a dirty sock and coal under the tree!!! In fact, had my wife and kids not been in the kitchen at the time, I might have actually started to cry....instead I just took a "moment alone" to gather my composure.

Just to be absolutely certain that I did not catch someone at Grizzly on an off-moment (I have lots of Grizzly stuff and love there tools, their customer service and their people), I called again to check the status, only to further learn that the actual back-orders would be filled first starting on 3/31 - and there were "lots" of backorders, making the wait for MY new lathe more like 8+ weeks!

**One note about me: now that I am committed to learning how to turn, I actually will lose sleep until that new lathe is in my shop. Waiting 8 weeks is NOT an option. Period.**

Sooo, in between looking for grief counseling today I have re-engaged my lathe search and am quickly justifying (after "deleting" some of my other turning accessories) the additional $425 for the Jet 1642 - which I actually have down to ~$270 after the +/- for taxes, cost of gas vs. free shipping, re-selling the "free" stuff from Jet, etc.

I am trying to "turn my frown upside down" as I often tell my 3-year old...NOW, I am just biting my nails over whether or not to jump up to the 2HP Jet - I have that down to a~$620 difference (maybe no golf weekend this year)....

Looks like all of my pain & suffering over the loss of my G0632 might just land me a new Jet 1642 2hp in the shop after all.....:D

Thanks for listening....

Clarence Sears
02-17-2009, 2:04 PM
Condolences, Edward. I had a similar problem last year when I tried to buy a Rikon mini. I ended-up cancelling the Rikon order after many weeks and buying a Jet 12-20 - which I'm now looking to upgrade. (Live and learn...) I think Grizzly generally makes a great product, but the supply chain can generate some real "entertainment." Sounds like you've worked your way around it, though. Best of luck!

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2009, 2:23 PM
Edward - I have the Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp lathe and love it! For the small difference in price (averaged over # of years you own the lathe) I would recommend the 220v 2 hp version and not have to worry about any power issues. Should you decide to do any coring - later - you would be glad you went with the 2 hp model.

Just something to think about!

Best of luck in your lathe research/decision! Looking forward to seeing photos of whatever you decide on!

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2009, 2:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the Griz but I will bet you will be extremely satisfied with the 1642 2hp EVS. I turned on one and it is one sweet machine.

Robert McGowen
02-17-2009, 2:40 PM
I have a Jet 1642 2HP and really like it. If you do get one, you might find that blessings come in many forms, and the heavens are actually steering you towards the 1642!

alex carey
02-17-2009, 3:07 PM
I send my condolences but I think you are right to look on the brighter side. Once you get that JET in your shop you won't be disappointed.

When I was researching my next lathe I too lost sleep. I am on my laptop before I go to bed and I seriously spent hours every night researching what I needed and how much it would cost. I think you will make the right decision with the JET. If you can though, skip golf and go for 2HP.

Alex

Dave Schell
02-17-2009, 3:19 PM
I'm surprised that Grizzly has that big of a backlog! My whole woodworking shop is Grizz machines (except for the lathe) and I've always had great success in ordering with them. This is probably a testimonial that they have come to market with a good machine at a very competitive price. And that they obviously underestimated the demand for wood lathes. Maybe this will spur them to stock more woodturning related supplies, etc.

Tom Steyer
02-17-2009, 4:26 PM
Ed, you are a lucky guy! Grizzly probably just did you a big favor. Their equipment in general has a good reputation, but their lathes do not. While the Jet 1642 is first class, well proven, and has an impeccable reputation, as other owners have already said. I am absolutely pleased with my 1642-2hp, and I know that you will be as well. Steve's points about the 2hp are well founded, and it might be a good trade for a golf weekend. Heck, you would probably shoot lousy anyway because you would rather be turning!

Enjoy that new 1642, and post some pictures when you get it set up!

Steve Mawson
02-17-2009, 5:14 PM
Always believe things turn out for the best so you might just need to go with that 2HP 1642. Worse things could have happened. Let us know what you decide. Wish I had your problem. Have to be satisfied with a mini for now.

charlie knighton
02-17-2009, 5:22 PM
maybe no golf weekend this year)....

once you start to turn, all you do is look for wood, the golf course generally has some wood

i gave up golf many years ago, i was playing a different course than everybody else, called in the woods, creek, pond, etc... basically could not find the fairway.....took up fishing, i could hit the ocean...
but since started turning.... fishing gear getting dusty, whatever lathe you choose enjoy

the 1.5 or the 2 hp jet are great, i have the 1.5 and the evs really is great for all those out of balance pieces of wood you get off the golf course:D

Grizzly G0632 sounds like a clone of the jet 1.5 evs

Edward Garrett
02-17-2009, 8:53 PM
Thanks to all for your consideration and empathy in helping me through this crisis....:p

I pulled the trigger today on the Jet 1642 2HP...approx. $620 over budget. I did get a nice bottle of chardonnay (sp?) for the LOML to help ease the delivery of my new spending package.

I will post pictures once I officially have the gloat....along with - I am sure - many, many many, many questions.

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2009, 9:09 PM
Congrats Edward! You will love it! Looking forward to the photos!

Don Carter
02-17-2009, 9:12 PM
Congrats Edward. I'm a long way from PA, but I got an extra room if you need it.;)
It's going to be fun. I will be looking for pics when the Jet arrives.

All the best.

Don