PDA

View Full Version : Do I Really Need a DC Bag and Filter?

Rick Hubbard
02-17-2009, 1:40 PM
Late last summer, when I upgraded to 6 inch ductwork, I removed the motor and impeller from my Jet DC1100 and mounted it on my shop ceiling. I moved the bag and filter outside the shop to a weather-proof lean-to. I’ve really been happy with this arrangement, because now there is virtually NO dust escaping from the bag-filter and polluting the shop. This week when I was emptying the chip bag, I started wondering why I need a bag and filter at all. Couldn’t I just blow the sawdust into a big vented box and use a scoop shovel to clean it out? Or am I missing something important about the circular shape of the dust bag and filter?

Thanks for the advice.

Rick

Ed Hazel
02-17-2009, 1:59 PM
I would not use the filter and bag. As long as you are not bothering anyone. My dad has a farm and he just shoots it outside in a box trailer and when it is full he spreads it out in the field. In the winter he uses the filter, he has it set up with 2 blast gates one to the outside and one to the filter so he can easily switch back and forth.

Ken Whitney
02-17-2009, 4:39 PM
Rick,

I have a DC1100, and I was considering doing something similar, hanging the motor/impeller on the wall and venting directly to the outside. I would use a trash can cyclone (or Dust Deputy) located on the floor below the unit to remove the big stuff.

It seems like a reasonable set up to me.

Ken