PDA

View Full Version : Any reviews/opinions on Steel city air filter?

Andy Pratt
02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm considering buying the steel city three speed air filtration unit, as it's on sale right now for $229, but I can't find any reviews or opinions of it online.

Does anyone here own one, or know someone who does?

My main concerns are general quality of construction, noise level and filter replacement requirements.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Pratt
02-18-2009, 2:08 PM
Bumping this back up, hopefully someone owns one. Is this a very new product, or some other reason why there aren't many owners?

Anyone own the older model SC offered?

Bruce Page
02-18-2009, 2:33 PM
Andy, I can’t speak to the Steel City unit as I have a JDS 2000 but these are pretty simple machines. I think it comes down to what tickles your fancy – remote control, 2 speed/ 3speed etc. One thing that I really like with the JDS is the electrostatic filter option. I just hose it off when it gets dirty. I haven’t had to buy a single filter in the 7/8 years that I’ve had it. It’s probably time to think about changing the internal pleated filter though…

Michael Koch
02-18-2009, 2:38 PM
I just picked up the air filter and the 1 1/2 Dust collector. Both are very good machines. Easy to install and put together. Together they both do an excellent job. Well worth the money. Hope this helps...MK

John Thompson
02-18-2009, 4:01 PM
Andy... as Bruce mentioned the over-head air cleaners are very simple machines. When I shopped for one several years ago I looked at JDS and Jet and anther brand I believe but not sure. What I discovered was that these are very simple machines and really couldn't distinquish between the effectiveness of the 3 I shopped.

If the Steel City had been available then I believe that it would have fallen into the same category. How I decided ultimately was the Jet was on sale so I have the Jet hanging in the center of my shop ceiling. So.. IMO whatever is on sale or has the best price would be the choice for me.

I am happy with the Jet and I know many happy with JDS. There are various filters available and you can adapt other good quality filters to any of the given machines so you are not limieted to the stock filter which isn't necessarily the most efficient one you can use.

Good luck..

Sarge..