PDA

View Full Version : Place to buy dog treats online?

Craig D Peltier
02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
I hate going to petsmart type stores for rawhide.I know im paying rockler prices at those kind of stores.

I like to give them rawhide type treats.Something they can chew on for a bit.
I recently bought 4 rawhides about 6 inches long, 1.25 inches thick for I think $7!

Anyone here buy theres online?

Doug Shepard
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Mine sort of lost interest in the rawhides (maybe it was because she was getting fresh marrow bone treats from the grocery store:confused:) Anyhoo, there might be cheaper places but I've bought both rawhides and pig ears at jefferspet.com cheaper than what I could at the pet store or grocery store. A neighbor did tell me that Sams Club had real good prices on the pig ears but I'm not a member there so I'm not sure what the actual price is or if they have rawhide too.

Robert Parrish
02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
We stopped buying rawhide treats for our dogs after the Chinese scare. Most rawhide treat are made in South America or China. Try giving them fresh green beans which is what our vet recommended. They have all lost some weight. If they need to chew get them some good chew toys.

Craig D Peltier
02-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Mine sort of lost interest in the rawhides (maybe it was because she was getting fresh marrow bone treats from the grocery store:confused:) Anyhoo, there might be cheaper places but I've bought both rawhides and pig ears at jefferspet.com cheaper than what I could at the pet store or grocery store. A neighbor did tell me that Sams Club had real good prices on the pig ears but I'm not a member there so I'm not sure what the actual price is or if they have rawhide too.

My dumb dog likes to try and swallow pig ears whole and hes only a Boston. He has choked many times. I try for long stuff that he wont try.

We stopped buying rawhide treats for our dogs after the Chinese scare. Most rawhide treat are made in South America or China. Try giving them fresh green beans which is what our vet recommended. They have all lost some weight. If they need to chew get them some good chew toys.

Green beans? I dont want them to lose weight. Dogs need to chew , it helps with there aggression towards life. My dogs tear apart toys. Thats why im looking for rawhides. I have been feeding them rawhides for years with no problems.I will look into this chinese scare although.

Ken Garlock
02-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Give Foster&Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/) a look see.

Doug Shepard
02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
My dumb dog likes to try and swallow pig ears whole and hes only a Boston. He has choked many times. I try for long stuff that he wont try.

Mine apparently went to Miss Manners school for young ladies where she learned to chew every bite. I can give her one of the cat treats and she'll chew it 5-6 times before swallowing. Her favorite pig ear pleasure though is to bury it. Then search it out 5-6 weeks later when it's good and marinated in dirt and rainwater. Apparently there's just nuthin like a limp slimy black pig ear.

Joe Pelonio
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Costco almost always has an $8 bag of lots of rolled up rawhides which we have been getting for years. Once in a while they are out. The do also have their own house brand of "milkbone-like" biscuits, 15 lbs for $10, got some the other day.

Greg Narozniak
02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I gave up on Rawhides years ago. Now the only thing I give my GSD is Marrow Bones. You can get them locally from butchers or more grocery stores carry them (Excellent flavoring for soups and stews) I pay $2-$3 for three 4" long pieces. My dog will go to town on them for hours.

One a day is plenty

Robert Parrish
02-17-2009, 2:20 PM
Craig here is a link on the dangers of rawhide chews.

http://www.essortment.com/all/rawhidechew_rbzt.htm

Joe Chritz
02-17-2009, 2:32 PM
As a former professional dog trainer and still avid amatuer I would counsel against rawhides all the way.

Compressed rawhides are fine but I still recommend either nylabones or gumiebones for dogs. They last a lot longer and pieces come off small so there is not danger.

I came very close to loosing one of my working Rotts because he got ahold of a rawhide and ate the knot at the end. Fortunately it got lodged high in the throat and he half spit it up and I dug it out. Shoving you hand down the throat of a trained bite dog that is choking isn't fun, glad he had some restraint.

Joe

Brad Wood
02-17-2009, 4:21 PM
Our vet counsels us against rawhide as well.

+1 on the foster and smith web site. I don't know if they are the cheapest, but I feel there is a level of quality that comes with their products. I skimp on myself before the dogs.

My choc lab must have something in his mouth at all times, and he can destroy ANYTHING except for the Kong products.

Joe Pelonio
02-17-2009, 4:43 PM
The ones we use are rolled up. about the size and shape of a large cigar. Never had a choking problem, but I will see where they are made next time.

You can't totally protect a dog from eating something harmful. We spent over $3,000 on surgery for our Golden when he ate a sewing pin which then poked out the side of his intestine. A friend's dog a few years ago had his second
surgery to remove rocks from his stomach.

Jim O'Dell
02-17-2009, 9:23 PM
snip
My choc lab must have something in his mouth at all times, and he can destroy ANYTHING except for the Kong products.

You mean he can't do this??110494 Granted, these are a few years old, and have been worked over by a multitude of foster dogs over the years, but leave it to an Irish setter to destroy the indestructible!!
LOML puts a dog cookie in them when they are complete, and the dog has to figure out a way to get the cookie. Our old girl we lost this summer would take the Kong in her mouth, chomp down on it a couple times breaking the cookie up, then eat it as it fell out of the Kong! Her brother would take his and put up on the counter and let it roll off, back and forth, back and forth until the cookie crumbled enough to fall out. The other thing LOML does with them is put a teaspoon of peanut butter in them. it's funny on 2 levels! :D
We do use rawhides from time to time to help with dental cleanings. Also marrow bones or even knuckle bones, but man, those things can ruin a carpet. I think the problem with the Chinese rawhides is the chemicals found in them. Must be US made, or we don't buy them. Jim.

Craig D Peltier
02-20-2009, 11:27 AM
As a former professional dog trainer and still avid amatuer I would counsel against rawhides all the way.

Compressed rawhides are fine but I still recommend either nylabones or gumiebones for dogs. They last a lot longer and pieces come off small so there is not danger.

I came very close to loosing one of my working Rotts because he got ahold of a rawhide and ate the knot at the end. Fortunately it got lodged high in the throat and he half spit it up and I dug it out. Shoving you hand down the throat of a trained bite dog that is choking isn't fun, glad he had some restraint.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I found nylabones I will try these but nothing for gumie or gummi or gummie under dog bones.

Craig D Peltier
02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Craig here is a link on the dangers of rawhide chews.

http://www.essortment.com/all/rawhidechew_rbzt.htm

Thanks Robert , Learn something new every day.

Thomas Bank
02-21-2009, 8:38 AM
Give Foster&Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/) a look see.

Another vote for Foster & Smith - they've always treated me well.

Joe Chritz
02-21-2009, 9:16 AM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=335

Nylabone is the brand name and they offer different "densities" for lack of a better term. The flexibone is the soft if I recall correctly. The link is the first one I found.

If the dog chews a lot I would get the hardest you can get and let them go to town on that. A power chewer will eat a soft one in a few minutes.

FWIW, I had a Rott (the same one I shoved my hand down his throat to get a rawhide chunk out) that could chew the end off a black kong toy in about 20 minutes if left alone. Nothing worked for him so he go hard nylabones very infrequently.

Joe

Rich Stewart
02-22-2009, 4:40 AM
Try some Bully Sticks. They don't stink quite as bad as pigs ears. Last a long time. My dog likes 'em.

Craig D Peltier
02-22-2009, 6:01 PM
I just bought two bacon flavored 6 inch nylabones. $6 for two. They were gone in 20 minutes by a puppy 22lbs and a Boston 28lbs. Not very durable.I figured hours.
Now all I smell is bacon breath!:D

Steve Kubien
02-24-2009, 8:08 AM
Try www.biopaw.ca