PDA

View Full Version : Question on "New" type of hardwood

John Augustine
02-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I am considering replacing all of the windows in my house (considering, that is). However because I live in a historic district, I am required to use wood for this replacement project, otherwise it's just a metter of time before a mob of elderly women from the Historic Council come and slap a lien on the place.

Now, while doing some research for the stock market recently, I stumbled across this company called Titan Wood -- www.titanwood.com (http://www.titanwood.com) -- and they claim that through some acetylization process that they can make non-dimensional lumber much, much more so, thereby making it the perfect long-term solution to exposed surfaces, a la windows.

I know that this is my first post, but do trust me here -- while I do work for a hardwood flooring manufacturer, I am no shill of this material.

Since one can easily assume a greater cost on this product (which they call Accoya Wood), not to mention what would seem to be a very tiny amount available as supply (relatively speaking), have any of you worked with or know anybody who has worked with this product? As well, as a simple salesman, and not a biochemist, can any of you decipher what these guys are saying about this process through which they are treating this product of theirs?

I know that this is a lot to ask, as it would seem to be a "new" wood technology, which at first glance is an oxymoron, so any feedback from you guys would be much appreciated.

Jamie Buxton
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I'd never heard of this. But it does appear to be something people have been working on for quite a while. Here's a background paper -- http://www.oggetre.no/Science%20behind%20acetylation%20of%20wood%20(Hill %202006).pdf

Brad Schafer
10-23-2012, 11:39 PM
well, to dig up an old topic ...

a buddy forwarded me a utoob vid of the Netherlands-based production plant for this stuff. it looks really interesting. has anyone ever used or seen accoya?

-b