PDA

View Full Version : Medallion Tools saw comes to Brese Plane

Ron Brese
02-17-2009, 9:01 AM
Whenever I have a NEED (WANT, LUST) for a tool I like to buy these tools from other independent tool makers like myself. This week I received the dovetail saw that I ordered from Ed at Medallion Tools. I met Ed at WIA in Berea after exchanging several emails with him prior to that event. When I had a look at his saws at the Woodnet get together I knew I would eventually be making a purchase from him. His tools have the attention to detail that make them a real please to hold and use.

The first thing I noticed about the saw was that the lower section of the handle seemed a bit wider than most dovetail saws. Ed had asked me to provide certain measurements taken from my hand when he was making the saw so this handle was made based on those dimensions. I put a piece of soft maple in the vise and started sawing. I never gave the size of the handle another thought. Sort of like when a new pair of shoes that fit so well that you forget you have on new shoes. Obviously Ed knows how to fit a saw to a person's hand.

The other thing that struck me about this saw was the ease of beginning the cut. Maybe I'm already accustomed to using a light touch at the start of the cut but this saw just seemed easier in that regard which allowed me to concentrate on following the line in lieu of just getting the saw started. According to the information Ed provided with the saw it should get better in this regard as the saw sees more usage.

This saw has a strong back spline which gives the saw a feeling that you can just go ahead and saw with it. Once in the cut it doesn't take long to reach your base line in fact it gets there so readily that you have to be careful not to get carried away and saw past your layout line.

The carmelized maple tote has a silky feeling of being well hand worked and just feels down right nice in your hand. The transitions are nice and rounded where you hand contacts the tote and no sharp facets are left in these areas.

I know I'll enjoy this saw for years to come and when it needs sharpening Ed has assured me that he is also available for this task.

Thanks for looking and Ed thanks for such a nice tool,

Ron Brese

Brian Kent
02-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Now that's nice!

I have been looking for a dovetail saw with a little larger handle. The LN saw looks great on paper, but when I tried it out, I was more aware of the crimped spots on my hand. I'll take a look at Medallion Tools.

By the way, when I saw the title of your post and the picture, for just a second I thought you were getting into saw making.

Brian

Doug Shepard
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
That tiger stripe on the handle sure looks sweet. Maybe if you sold a prototype miter plane or two (at deeply discounted prices) you could afford to pay that thing off.:D

Alan DuBoff
02-17-2009, 1:34 PM
Ed makes a nice looking saw!

Very tasty! :)

EDIT: missed this the first time:

I know I'll enjoy this saw for years to come and when it needs sharpening Ed has assured me that he is also available for this task.
I really hope you don't send your saw out to be sharpened by Ed, this would be like folks sending their plane irons back to you for sharpening. Get a $5 file and learn something new!:)

Raney Nelson
02-17-2009, 2:39 PM
Ed makes a nice looking saw!

Very tasty! :)

EDIT: missed this the first time:

I really hope you don't send your saw out to be sharpened by Ed, this would be like folks sending their plane irons back to you for sharpening. Get a $5 file and learn something new!:)

somehow I don't really think Ron said that because he wasn't feeling up to the task of sharpening a saw...

Nice saw - that carmelized handle is really really sweet... Ed does fine work!

Justin Green
02-17-2009, 3:17 PM
What is the finish on that handle? It's really nice looking.

Nevermind - found it on their site - shellac and paste wax. Very nice!

Ron Brese
02-17-2009, 5:28 PM
Actually I probably would not send it out for sharpening but I wanted folks that might be a bit intimidated by saw sharpening to know that he is willing to sharpen saws.

Ron

Eric Brown
02-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I am interested in getting a full set of good saws from someone. Wenzloff and Sons, Medallion, and some other premium makers all seem to have about the same high quality level. Custom sizing a handle to fit your hand seems a notch above. How does the rest of the saw line measure up? I'm also interested because I want some different woods for the handles. Wenzloff and Sons quit taking custom orders (for now anyway) and the lead time is still 6-9 months. Ouch!!!
Another question - The Kenyon saws that Seaton had. Were these a better design than current western saws?

Thanks. Eric

Ron Brese
02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Eric,

I don't know the answers to your questions. I'd recommend you talk with the saw makers. I know that Ed recently made a set of 5 saws for one person so he certainly entertains the idea of making a complete set of saws for a customer as I'm sure the other saw makers would as well.

Ron Brese

Alan DuBoff
02-19-2009, 2:13 PM
Actually I probably would not send it out for sharpening but I wanted folks that might be a bit intimidated by saw sharpening to know that he is willing to sharpen saws.

Ron
Ron,

Ok, wasn't sure by the way you worded it. Although I think everyone who uses a handsaw should know how to sharpen it, myself I would encourage those folks to get a $5 file and learn to sharpen.

Was talking about sharpening with Mike Wenzloff at the LN event last week, and he was saying they really don't like to sharpen saws for folks and will only do it for a customer of theirs, since they are so busy and need to sharpen so many saws, it's just not a service they really want to offer. He said he would if he wasn't so busy. Mike also encourages folks to sharpen their own saws whenever possible for similar reasons, if you use a handsaw, you should know how to sharpen it.

I am sending you a PM on inlay...ran into a pic of your plane a few weeks ago...

Keith Young
06-20-2009, 9:07 AM
Ron,

Its been a few months now, how is your dovetail saw holding up? While looking for info on saws read your post and liked the idea of the handle being sized to your hand. Got with Ed this past week and ordered one. Thanks for your input on a good looking saw.

Keith

Gary Miller
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
A coouple of weeks ago, Ed sent me my custom saws. He was willing to change the ppi configuration and "cant" the blades for me as well as make me a 10" DT saw instead of his usual 8" (I'm used to a 10"). In addition to the DT, a got a rip 12" carcase w/ 11 ppi, a CC carcase w/ 13 ppi--all canted--and an 18" CC halfback. He cut all the handles to my hand--out of the same board of curly maple. Each of the saws is as close to perfect as I could imagine. Just finished cutting the 24 tenons on on a curly cherry sideboard--they worked outstanding. No grab, cut to a line and very fast and sharp. As you can probably tell, I like my new saws alot.
Gary

David Gendron
06-22-2009, 12:55 AM
A wile back I got a half back from Ed and it is indeed a great saw! The tote are Wonderfull!

Keith Young
06-22-2009, 5:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Also ordered mine with the curly maple handle, looking forward to getting it in about 10-12 weeks.

Eric Brown
06-22-2009, 5:56 PM
Medallion tools will be at the Chicago show in August if anyone is interested in seeing the complete "standard" line.
http://furnituredc.woodworkinginamerica.com/GeneralMenu/

Eric