PDA

View Full Version : Removing a broken leg

Quinn McCarthy
02-17-2009, 8:55 AM
I made a 3 leg milk stool for somebody and one of the legs broke about 2" above the mortise. I should have used something with straight grain. Now I need to get the remainder of the leg out of the mortise. I was looking for some ideas for loosening the glue or getting the leg out. I used TB II and I know for a month you can reconstitute the glue with a heat gun but it may by too late. I had used the oneway drilling jig for the mortises don't know if I can remount the stool witout damage.

Thanks much.

Quinn

Norm Zax
02-17-2009, 8:59 AM
redrill the hole and remount a new tenon inside.

Quinn McCarthy
02-17-2009, 11:07 AM
That is a good idea. It will take building some type of clamping jig for the drill press so I can get the angle right and hold it in place.

Thanks.

Quinn

M Toupin
02-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Heat the joint with a heat gun, it'll work fine. I recently disassembled a 40 some year old child's rocking chair with heat and it worked just fine.

Mike

Reed Gray
02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I would cut the leg off flush with the bottom of the chair, then drill another hole. Probably less trouble than trying to remove the tenon with heat. You could make a bigger or smaller hole, depending on what you want.
robo hippy

Rick Prosser
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Boy, glad this was not about what I first thought :eek: when I read the subject.

Good luck with the repair.

Jim Kountz
02-17-2009, 1:27 PM
Boy, glad this was not about what I first thought :eek: when I read the subject.

Good luck with the repair.

My thoughts too Rick!! I thought now this should be interesting to say the least!!

I would go with cutting it flush first too as already mentioned. Either way it will be easier to drill out with it flush.

Quinn McCarthy
02-17-2009, 2:40 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments.

I am glad to see you have a sense of humor here.

Quinn

Quinn McCarthy
02-17-2009, 9:16 PM
Well I got it out.

I used the heat gun and a vise grips.

Thanks

Quinn