PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet saw belts needed

Matt Day
02-17-2009, 7:59 AM
I need to replace the 3 belts on my Bridgewood BW-10TS cabinet saw, as they are all cracked. The belts say "Mountain FM-24" and Curt at Wilke Machinery says it's a type A-23 belt. I stopped by Autozone last night and they had a belt that was just about right (61cm), but it wasnt' flat on the inside, rather it had notches like it was to go on a gear.

The actual measurements of the belt are 24" outside diameter, 3/8" wide outside, and 3/16" wide inside.

Where can I get these belts? My local Mom and Pop said they can get them from their supplier in Richmond, and I didn't check Lowe's yet.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I searched SMC multiple times and couldn't find what I needed.

Bill Petersen
02-17-2009, 8:45 AM
I'm not sure of a supplier, but don't use an automotive belt. They are designed much differently than a power transmission belt. The angle of the side cut is different and the tightening requirements are different. (don't ask me how I know)
Bill

Sonny Edmonds
02-17-2009, 8:49 AM
You need to buy a MATCHED SET of machine tool belts.
I've also known of one woodworker who runs link belts on his cabinet saw. Said they worked fine.

Charles Robertson
02-17-2009, 8:52 AM
Matt,
Been using link belts on my unisaw over 10 years. Almost daily use. Have not needed to replace them since initial installation. Quieter, no vibration. I recommend it.
Good luck on your choice, C. Alan.

Brian W Evans
02-17-2009, 8:56 AM
Ditto on the link belts. Lee Valley, Woodcraft, etc. have them in 1/2" (most cabinet saws). Grizzly has 3/8" also, for some contractor's saws. Search the creek for posts - there are many other places to buy them as well.

Link belts make a BIG difference.

Alex Shanku
02-17-2009, 9:04 AM
Properly sized standard vee belts are just fine.

Link belts are ok, i guess (i have had them slip on my bandsaw when I used to use them)

Link belts are also very expensive.

Matt Day
02-17-2009, 9:34 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I know I need a matched set, but I can't believe how hard it is to find these belts! Haven't some of you had to change belts at some point? I'd rather not get link belts - 1 because they're expensive and 2 because I've heard positives and negatives to using them on a TS and would rather stick with the v-belt standard.

But WHERE do I buy them from?

I have emailed beltsforeverything.com and I might find something from them.

I've checked McMaster Carr and could only find a 25" outer diameter belt rather than the 24" I need. Would that 1" (the motor would only be 1/2" lower) make a difference?

Charles Lent
02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Grainger or other industrial suppliers, or the saw manufacturer would likely be the right place to get the belts. The replacement set for my Delta Unisaw is coming from ereplacementparts.com, and due for delivery today. You need to get a matched set wherever you buy them. If you don't get them from the saw manufacturer or one of their parts distributers you likely won't get a matched set.

Charley

Lee Schierer
02-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Automotive belts are different sized than industrial drive belts. You will need to take your belts to an industrial supply house. They should be able to measure your belts and get you an exact match. Matched sets are common in industrial aplications.

Matt Day
02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the grainger tip, I just found them as a matter of fact after lots of searching. Turns out the belt spec'd is an A23 belt (1/2" wide at the top) and the belt I had is a 3L240 which is 3/8" top width. I think I should go with the 3/8" to match what was on there, as I didn't see anything wrong.

What is the definition of a matched set? Simply 3 new individual belts from the same manufaturer, or would I be looking for 3 belts packaged together?

Chip Lindley
02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
ANY set of 3 belts Will work! The *notched* belts you speak of will also work! THREE belts on a 10" tablesaw is *overkill* and Full *power-transmission* is rarely an issue unless you saw 8/4 hardwood all day long.

The 25" belt should work. 1/2" should not make much difference. But raise and tilt your motor to the extreme to make sure you have an extra 1/2" around it.

Concerning a *matched set*, purchase 3 belts, install, and let the weight of the motor stretch the belts for 24hrs. Then tighten the motor bolt. You WILL have a matching set!

Link belts (aka Fenner Power-Twist belts) receive more Plus's than Minus's! They dampen vibration, can be made to any length, and hold up forever! They are not just a *quick-fix*! I swear by them on a Rockwell CS and Delta 14" bandsaw.

Joe Jensen
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
A commercial type parts store, like Napa, will be able to get the belts as a matched set. I worked at a Napa store in rural Iowa 30 years ago and most of our business was parts for farm machinery. We sold lots and lots of belts.

Grainger will want you to show you are a commercial account. They were one of the harder wholesale places for me to start buying from as I'm not a commercial account.

Joe Jensen
02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I saw a very small OWWM 6" jointer at the consigment tool store this weekend. I think it was an Oliver, but not sure. The funny thing was that it had a 1/2HP motor and triple belts :eek:

Matt Day
02-17-2009, 5:03 PM
This turned out to be a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, but I ended up ordering (3) 3L240 belts from www.beltsforanything.com (http://www.beltsforanything.com) . Phyllis was very good to deal with and helped me figure out what I needed and I'd recommend the company to anyone looking for belts. They were less than $6 each, plus about $5 for shipping.