PDA

View Full Version : One of my latest endeavors in Applewood

Leo Van Der Loo
02-17-2009, 12:41 AM
I turned this Applewood platter to final thickness last year, it dried to an oval shape with a bit of warp in it, was kind of good looking, but I wasn't happy with it, so bandied it about some and finally decided to open it up some, so the little coping saw did most of the wood removal, than some filing and a whole bunch of sanding till the final outcome here, it has a couple of coats of Polymerized Tung oil on it and it is polished :).

All comments welcome :D

It is 11½"x10"x1½" :)

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2009, 7:42 AM
Leo - that is really cool! Don't believe I have ever seen that style of rim treatment before! Pretty wood! The warp gives it even more character! You always come up with some interesting - original - ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Greg Just
02-17-2009, 7:54 AM
very nice Leo. Very innovative use of the wood

ROY DICK
02-17-2009, 8:21 AM
Leo,

Another outstanding piece for sure.

Roy

Jim Kountz
02-17-2009, 8:48 AM
I turned this Applewood platter to final thickness last year, it dried to an oval shape with a bit of warp in it, was kind of good looking, but I wasn't happy with it, so bandied it about some and finally decided to open it up some, so the little coping saw did most of the wood removal, than some filing and a whole bunch of sanding till the final outcome here, it has a couple of coats of Polymerized Tung oil on it and it is polished :).

All comments welcome :D

It is 11½"x10"x1½" :)

What a great idea Leo!! I love that!! Just when I think you have amazed me as much as someone can, you go and do this!! Wunnerful!!

David Christopher
02-17-2009, 9:09 AM
Leo, that an amazing piece of apple art. I allways look forward to seeing your work ( art )... ive never been able to keep apple from cracking ....Great work

Dewey Torres
02-17-2009, 9:11 AM
Reminds me of a race car steering wheel:cool:.

Bill Bolen
02-17-2009, 9:44 AM
Quite a unique save for a very nice piece. Always look forward to your postings Leo...Bill..

Rick Prosser
02-17-2009, 9:47 AM
Always something new from Leo. Nice.

Steve Mawson
02-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Really nice piece. If you stack the cookies right then it will hold a lot of them.

George Guadiane
02-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Very Nice Looking Piece

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Great looking piece Leo. Really like that wood.

Scott Lux
02-17-2009, 1:55 PM
Love it. Your work is always special. I love that apples tendency to dance does not bother you. You just work with it.

Lux

Ron Lynch
02-17-2009, 9:24 PM
OK, it's not a soup bowl anymore but I still like it. Excellent eye for the original.

Gary Kvasnicka
02-17-2009, 9:32 PM
Another great piece Leo! Keep them coming.

Jim Swift
02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Great piece!!! I especially like the coped handholes.

Another great project

Jim Swift

Jarrod McGehee
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Hey that piece is pretty sweet. I like that applewood. maybe when my granny smith dies I'll keep the wood for some turning blocks. that's what I did with some of my apricot wood and that looks pretty good with a paste wax or some danish oil.

Oh and one question. How do you Polymerize Tung Oil??? I'm still new to some of these things.

Jack Mincey
02-18-2009, 9:32 AM
Great peace Leo, I like the handles and the wood. Very creative design.
Jack

Ron Bontz
02-18-2009, 7:05 PM
Lee, You're a master. My compliments.:)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-18-2009, 7:50 PM
Leo - that is really cool! Don't believe I have ever seen that style of rim treatment before! Pretty wood! The warp gives it even more character! You always come up with some interesting - original - ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Hi Steve :) thanks, I can't remember seeing anything like that either, but have seen porcelain dishes with opened up rims and with lacy looks to them, so it is just like combining shapes and forms and embellishments, things we all do when turning pieces I think, it is just taking the next step when not totally feeling fine with what we have, I guess I'm lucky to be able to "see" the possibilities and then just do it ;- ))

very nice Leo. Very innovative use of the wood

Thank you Greg :D

Leo,

Another outstanding piece for sure.

Roy

Hi Roy, thanks, yes, like they say keep on turning and have fun !!

What a great idea Leo!! I love that!! Just when I think you have amazed me as much as someone can, you go and do this!! Wunnerful!!

Hi Jim, thank you :), Jim there's nothing new under the sun in turning, but like every new day it is just not the same, it is just THAT what I love in turning, as each and every piece of wood calls for something unique, just as every piece of wood is unique, and there's always something you can do to change the outcome and look of a piece, however it isn't always seen by everyone, as some see a bowl and a bowl and a bowl as just another bowl :-((

Leo, that an amazing piece of apple art. I allways look forward to seeing your work ( art )... ive never been able to keep apple from cracking ....Great work

Reminds me of a race car steering wheel:cool:.

Hi David, thanks :-)), Next time start with a green piece and turn it in one go, stick it in a brown paper bag and stick it in your basement where it is nice and cool, then forget about it for a couple of months, just try it, you might be surprised ;-))

Leo Van Der Loo
02-18-2009, 7:58 PM
Quite a unique save for a very nice piece. Always look forward to your postings Leo...Bill..

Thanks Bill, not a save of the usual kind Bill, but certainly a save for a better looking outcome ;-))

Always something new from Leo. Nice.

Thank you Rick :-)), we just keep on turning ;-))

Really nice piece. If you stack the cookies right then it will hold a lot of them.

Thanks Steve, yes a lot more than I'm allowed to have :rolleyes:

Leo Van Der Loo
02-18-2009, 8:07 PM
Very Nice Looking Piece

Thank you George :D

Great looking piece Leo. Really like that wood.

Thanks Bernie, love working with Apple, sweet turning and great looking when done :)

Love it. Your work is always special. I love that apples tendency to dance does not bother you. You just work with it.

Lux

Thanks Scott :D, Yup you got to work with what you have, Apple is one of my favorite woods to turn, just don't try to force it, just like water doesn't run uphill, you got to work with it, works for me :D

Leo Van Der Loo
02-18-2009, 8:22 PM
OK, it's not a soup bowl anymore but I still like it. Excellent eye for the original.

Thanks Ron, soup bowl ??, surely would be a spill prone one :eek:

Another great piece Leo! Keep them coming.

Thank you Gary :)

Great piece!!! I especially like the coped handholes.

Another great project

Jim Swift

Thanks Jim :), they were more work than the rest of the bowl ;)

Hey that piece is pretty sweet. I like that applewood. maybe when my granny smith dies I'll keep the wood for some turning blocks. that's what I did with some of my apricot wood and that looks pretty good with a paste wax or some danish oil.

Oh and one question. How do you Polymerize Tung Oil??? I'm still new to some of these things.

Thanks Jarrod, Oh yes Apricot is very nice, not enough of it around here, though I do have some in my yard, but the bugs are murder on it over here.
Polymerizing is done at pretty high temperatures under strict conditions, I do not do that myself, I buy it at Lee Valley, and a little goes a long way, works real fine IF you follow the rules and conditions laid down, here's a link, and the info is right there also.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20050&cat=1,190,42942

Great peace Leo, I like the handles and the wood. Very creative design.
Jack

Thank you Jack :D

Lee, You're a master. My compliments.:)

Hi Ron, thanks for commenting :D