PDA

View Full Version : Wixey Fence Readout not holding calibration

Nelson Bradley
02-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I just installed my fence readout to my 30" biesemeyer, but it looses the calibration when it crosses from one segment to the next. If I'm very careful about moving the fence over the segment it seems to hold. The segments are aligned with the guage included and the battery is new. I did notice the track on the first segment isn't as wide as the second so it fits loosely until it crosses. If I tighten it to propery fit the first segment it gets stuck on the second so I wondering if the variation in thickness is causing the issue. Any ideas?

Thanks

Randy Rose
02-17-2009, 6:30 AM
Try a new battery first.

Michael Tartamella
02-17-2009, 9:54 AM
The issue you are having is due to inconsistent extruded rail dimensions. I had the exact same problem and contacted Wixey. I was told my experience was the first they heard of and to return the unit for a replacement. The replacement was much better (rails were nearly identical). I am still very disappointed with the overall accuracy of the unit though. Over a 3 foot distance, I have nearly a 0.020" error (compared to a known accurate standard). I've installed it on a SawStop and the fence scale provides a much more accurate means of setting the fence. Even though it isn't accurate in the Absolute mode, it will come in handy in the relative.

Charles Lent
02-17-2009, 10:31 AM
I have had great accuracy with my Wixey fence system, but I did have quite a bit of trouble getting the rail sections aligned properly. The instructions say that you need to file the ends to get the edges and the center to match. If you don't do this you will have problems. Also, you have to be very careful to use the alignment spacer when installing the green strips. When installed properly they have a gap between them and this gap must be exact. The spacer, which is just a piece of metal with bumps on one side near the ends, fits into holes in the ends of the two green strips, positioning them exactly the right distance apart. You will get an error in your fence position reading, after it crosses over this gap, if you have not positioned the strips correctly. The glue on the strips is also a one-time type, meaning that you can't remove a strip after it has been applied without destroying the glue and/or the strip. Take the time to file the rail ends so they match perfectly and then use the alignment spacer when installing the green strips. I didn't get one strip installed exactly right on my saw. It was a few thousandths too far apart. I removed one rail section and ground off the end of it, then re-installed it using the alignment spacer to get the green strips on it and it's neighbor spaced just right. One layer of Scotch tape over gap of the green strips will smooth the transition when the gauge crosses. My Wixey fence gauge has been installed for almost 2 years now, and it's still operating perfectly (3 rail sections on 52" Unifence), but it took about 6 hours to install and calibrate it properly.

Charley

Michael Tartamella
02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Charley's points are all great points. I should have noted, I have significant error going from end to end of one section of rail, meaning, not crossing over the seam. At least for my unit, this eliminated the spacing between strips being the source of the error. You mentioned your display unit is loose on one rail and tight on another. If you measure the thickness of the rails (were the display unit wraps around the rail, you will notice a significant difference. I was able to file the seam to a smooth transition but that didn't change the fact that mine was tight on one rail, loose on the other (regardless of how you adjust the rear screws).