PDA

View Full Version : Chisel gloat

David Drickhamer
02-16-2009, 11:33 PM
As a retirement gift to myself I bought two Thompson gouges. A 1/2" V Bowl gouge and a 3/8" detail gouge. I've been wanting to add a few chisels to the collection and decided to get the best. The bowl gouge got a run of the mill ash handle but I decided to get creative with the detail gouge. The handle is made of hard maple with rosewood, walnut and ebony. I even made a little cap for the end using the same rosewood, walnut and ebony. That little cap took longer to make than the handle did but does fancy it up a little. The finial is made from a copper fitting.

David Christopher
02-16-2009, 11:36 PM
David, nice gloat...your going to love the thompsons BTW the handle you made looks great

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2009, 11:41 PM
David - congrats on the new gouges! Your handle sure looks great! The different woods sure do fancy it up!

Don Carter
02-16-2009, 11:43 PM
David:
Great looking handle. You are going to love the detail gouge. I got one for Christmas. Let me know how the bowl gouge works for you because it is next on my list.
All the best.

Don

Bill Bolen
02-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Nice handle! You should be able to find it easily enough in a big pile of curlies with that treatment...Bill...

Paul Douglass
02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice job David

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Great looking handle David. You are going to love those gouges. I roughed three bowls yesterday before going to the grinder.

Jim Kountz
02-17-2009, 1:29 PM
Nice handle!! It would have to give you a sense of pride each time you use it. Now that makes me want to go re-do all the ones Ive made and make em purty!!