PDA

View Full Version : "Best" option for router table on 22124 saw

Steve Hilberg
02-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi everyone,

First time posting - I have been browsing the forum for awhile and finally decided to join up. Seem like a lot of great info here.

I am finally making significant progress in organizing my shop (one car garage bay). I have a Craftsman 22124 hybrid table saw with an Incra TS fence and LS positioner (32' rip cap). I currently have a Woodpecker's router table mounted on a stand, but to save space I'd like to mount it with the table saw so I can use it with the positioner. To save space, I really need to mount this on the right side. The router table I have is too big for TS mounting, so I will be getting a smaller table and selling the one I have. However, I have run into a couple of issues and wonder if anyone has done this on the same set up.

The table saw has a big access door on the right side. You cannot mount a router in a table installed in place of the right cast iron wing because the door would interfere with it. If I leave the cast iron wing and install the router table adjacent to it, then I don't think there will be enough clearance to use the fence and positoner with the router.

Another option might be to replace the access door on he saw with something that has a smaller profile that I may be able to fabricate. I'm not sure why this door is as large as it is, but I suspect the size and shape has something to do with airflow for dust collection.

I don't want to get another router table and find it won't work in a right side configuration, so I'm hoping someone out there has done something similar with this saw and the Incra system.

Thanks!

scott spencer
02-16-2009, 11:53 PM
I mounted a router table in my 22124 to the right of the cast iron extension wing, leaving plenty of room to open the access door. At the very least, you should be able to pop the router out to the table fairly easily for those few occasions you'll need to access that door. I also built a rolling router cabinet underneath for improved DC and storage. It's not attached to the wing, but comes just short so it'll roll out of the way of the door easily when needed.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/RT/TS1.jpg

Steve Hilberg
02-17-2009, 5:52 PM
Thanks, Scott...the cabinet is also something I want to do. My problem is setting this up with the Incra fence and LS positioner. I don't have the Bies fence, and the Incra "platform" is attached to the rails to the right of the saw.

Joe Scharle
02-17-2009, 6:14 PM
There's a couple thousand of us with a setup like Scott's. Your best bet is to re-phrase your title for setups using the Incra fence system.
Good luck,
Joe