PDA

View Full Version : New sawdust blower

Steve Clardy
07-08-2004, 7:29 PM
Well after almost a year, I am about done with my new blower. I am replacing the one I have that sits outside my shop.
I bought this blower at Grizzlys scratch and dent sale last July. It is for a four bag system. I junked all the stands and stuff and saved the blower assembly, with a 4 hp motor.
After a lot of help and ideas from Terry Hatfield, we finally got it modified to run. It had two outlets, blocked one of them off.
Bought a Sheldon fan from Terry, which as you can see it is much improved from the original metal one. I had the stand made at the local fab shop, and had the fan bored out at the machine shop to fit the metric shaft on the motor.
Also had the transitions made for the in and outlets. The conehead:eek: looking one is the intake, long enough to go through my shop wall into the piping. The top one is the outlet, which I am not proud of at all.:( From square to round, the sheet metal man didn't get it to smooth, just kind of boxed it off. I am taking it back to see if it can be done better.
And I have a can of gas sitting there ready when needed. Either to start it up or blow it up.:eek: Lol
I am planning to get it installed in a week or too I hope.
Steve

Bruce Page
07-08-2004, 8:16 PM
Boy, that will blow some sawdust! I have to agree with you, that is one ugly square to round!

Steve Clardy
08-17-2004, 9:23 PM
Well I finally made it. Got the new blower up and running!!:D
Planned on getting it installed for the last five weeks now, and couldn't stand it any longer, so kinda made today shop day.
Ripped out the old blower and mounted the new one to the slab by concrete anchors. I have a slight vibration, so will need to put some rubber padding under the feet. Install went great. The old one was 3-phase, so had to rip out the old switch and wiring and hook up the new switch and run new wiring. This is a 4-hp single phase motor so I had to run 10 gauge to be safe.
I'll have to get Hatfield here one of these days to check the CFM.:) Factory rated is 3500 cfm, with a different impeller I purchased from Terry. I have no idea what is it now, but man, the sound in the shop really CHANGED!!! Got louder by quite a bit, the air movement noise. Also found all my inside flex hose leaks too.:o
Lucked out and got the 220 wires right the first time for motor direction. I was prepared to shut it down it case it was running backwards so it wouldn't fill the shop with a cloud of dust.
This thing actually cleaned out all my pipes too.:D Piping is under the floor, and a lot of chunks were laying in there that the old blower wouldn't bring out. It even sucked my cabinet saw dry. Whoa.:eek:
My chip trailer is kinda full, needing dumped, and this blower actually blowed a hole 2 feet deep down into the pile and outside the trailer on the ground. Guess I'll have to dump it now, or maybe put sideboards on it?:rolleyes: I still need to redo the outlet that isn't too round on top of the blower. Later.
All I need to do now is put the weather shield on the motor and get busy in the shop making chips.:D
I sure hope this thing doesn't suck my new SMC Hat off my head when it arrives.:confused:

Happy Steve

John Miliunas
08-17-2004, 9:46 PM
By the looks of things, you may need a hay wagon WITH sideboards! :D Don't let any family pets wander into your shop while that thing is cranked! :eek: Shore do wish I could just exhaust out like that! With a setup like that, I'd loose all my conditioned air in a couple minutes flat. :( Nice job! :cool:

Greg Heppeard
08-17-2004, 9:54 PM
Steve,

Don't get too close to that thing while it's runnin...you'll be runnin around your shop in your skivies :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bob Weisner
08-17-2004, 9:58 PM
Steve:

How many amps is the motor drawing?

Bob

Jim Ketron
08-17-2004, 9:59 PM
Wow Steve great job looks like it didn't take long to fill that wagon!!:D
And it's a FORD!:D

Jim

Steve Clardy
08-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Steve:

How many amps is the motor drawing?

Bob
Hey Bob. Tag says 32 amps. Put my Amprobe on it, and showed 0. So I guess my Amprobe has died.:(

Steve Clardy
08-17-2004, 10:19 PM
By the looks of things, you may need a hay wagon WITH sideboards! :D Don't let any family pets wander into your shop while that thing is cranked! :eek: Shore do wish I could just exhaust out like that! With a setup like that, I'd loose all my conditioned air in a couple minutes flat. :( Nice job! :cool:

Hmmm. I'll hafta keep an eye out for the Cats strolling by. lol

Steve Clardy
08-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Wow Steve great job looks like it didn't take long to fill that wagon!!:D
And it's a FORD!:D

Jim
Hey Hey. Heres a sign thats going in my driveway one of these days.;)

Jim Ketron
08-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Hey Hey. Heres a sign thats going in my driveway one of these days.;)
Nice Steve I like it!!
Jim

Jerry Olexa
08-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Don't lose too much weught or you'll find yourself drawn and stuck to the wall.

Good job of improvising and DIY. Jerry

Greg Mann
08-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Steve,

You say you have some hose leaks? Doesn't look to me like that will matter one bit. Your transition may not be pretty but power can cover a lot of sins.;)

Greg

Alan Tolchinsky
08-18-2004, 12:07 AM
That has to be the most powerful DC system I've seen on the boards I frequent. What produces most of that saw dust if you don't mind me asking? Do all your neighbors lights go dim when you turn it on? :) Alan in Md.

Dennis Peacock
08-18-2004, 1:09 AM
<b>Great job Steve!!!</b>

Hey!!!! Is that all my pen blanks going out to the bed of that truck?!! :eek: :D

You'll really like the greatly improved dust collection.!!!! You're a winner.!!!

David Rose
08-18-2004, 2:59 AM
That's a hoss, Boss! Cool job. I've been concerned a little about the noise from mine, when and if I ever get it together. :D I would love to poke it out the wall, but my little under rated window AC unit would fuss. :(

Forget the trailor. Can you burn there? :D There would be no "draft" problem for the fire.

David

Terry Hatfield
08-18-2004, 8:33 AM
Steve,

WOW!!!! That's a heap 'o saw dust!!!! :D

t

Tyler Howell
08-18-2004, 8:57 AM
Steve,

That Sucks! Very nice set up!;)

Clint deal
08-18-2004, 9:11 AM
Awsome blower. I feel small now as my next project for the shop is a cyclone.

On the Amprobe be sure to only capture one wire at a time with it, if you catch more than one they will cancel each other. if you already know that just ignore me. lol
Clint

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Steve
I looks as though that blower errrr vacuum really sucks??????? !!!!!!!
Who said burn the saw dust? That's good compost!!!!!!!
We occassionally coerce the local tree trimmers to dump their loads of tree trimmings on our estate (huh?) and if Katy and I can't move it around for ground cover - boy does it make rich compost.
Daniel :D

nic obie
08-18-2004, 4:35 PM
Too cool!

I just finished updating my DC and love the improvement. I bet you will too.

Nice job.

Steve Clardy
08-18-2004, 7:40 PM
Works great.:) Noticed the CMSC dust was greatly improved, along with the top dust from the table saw. And this thing was still pulling out an ocassional chunk of wood from the floor pipes that runs to the planer.:eek:
Bob. Amprobe reads 11 amps each hot wire at the breaker.
Alan. I do most all my own miling and planing. Takes about two months to fill the trailer up.
Dennis. Cut some blanks this morning to get some scraps cleaned up, but didn't see any blanks go through with your name on it. lol;)
Clint. Yep. Brain dead I was.:( Amprobe is a little dusty, but works after I put it on right after reading your post. Been too long between using the thing.
Daniel. Yes, this bugger really sucks!!!:D lol All sawdust and chips go to the garden to spoil for a year or so then gets plowed under.

Steve

Chris Padilla
08-18-2004, 7:52 PM
Clint. Yep. Brain dead I was.:( Amprobe is a little dusty, but works after I put it on right after reading your post. Been too long between using the thing.
Steve
Since the current in each hot line is 180 degrees out of phase with each other, the magnetic flux generated by the flowing current will cancel each other out and your meter should correctly read no current if two hots are put through the probe. At least you know the meter is working correctly! :)

Dennis Peacock
08-18-2004, 8:00 PM
Yap....I put my sawdust in the garden spot as well. Each spring it gets tilled in.

Chris Padilla
08-18-2004, 8:04 PM
Dennis,

Does your sawdust pretty much include everything: plywood, MDF, hardwood of all kinds, skin, blood, fingernails, limbs, small children/pets, etc.? :D

Dennis Peacock
08-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Dennis,

Does your sawdust pretty much include everything: plywood, MDF, hardwood of all kinds, skin, blood, fingernails, limbs, small children/pets, etc.? :D

Chris,

I usually leave OUT the body parts and human related materials. ;) :p

I include everything else in the garden. However, there are two exceptions: mdf, and pressure treated.

mike lucas
08-24-2004, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't want to much Walnut chips in the lawn or garden either;) .