PDA

View Full Version : Shop Day

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Wow I had a great day in the shop today. Finally got a whole day to do nothing but turn. I am in the process of making a cherry salad bowl set with a main bowl 11" X 4" and 8 small bowls 7" X 3". I got the main bowl and 4 small ones done today and in the DNA. Also turned a ambrosia maple and a Olive wood bowl that will be a communion bowl. My best friend and the guy I have worked with for 27 yrs his son was ordained a priest 1 yr ago in May. That is going to be his 1st yr anniversary gift. Oh and almost forgot I roughed a red oak bowl (I think that is what it was. Came from Missouri and oak of some kind) and it is in the DNA also.

The other bowl I turned or should say tried to turn today is a 12" X 6" redwood bowl. I got the outside done and turned it around to start on the inside. Well got it about half done and the foot broke off flush with the bottom of the bowl. I ran out of CA so it is clamped with Titebond III. Will let it sit for 24 hrs and hopefully get it done tomorrow night.

Sorry for the ramble but it has been a long time since I have been able to turn all day to my hearts content and rough out 8 bowls plus almost a 9th. Of course in 318 days I will be able to do that all the time.:D:D:D

I know no pic's it didn't happen but pic's will follow when finished.

David Christopher
02-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Bernie, thats a whole lot of bowls but even more DNA. Glad to hear that you had a good dat in the shop... cant wait to see them finished

David Drickhamer
02-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Wow Bernie, you were busy. Looking forward to seeing your bowls.
Even though I retired 3 weeks ago I still haven't had a chance to turn all day long. Maybe tomorrow.
Dave

Don Carter
02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Bernie:
Take a break, you deserve it. It was a good day!

All the best.

Don

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Wow! Bernie the production turner! That's a lot of bowls! Sounds like it had to have been a lot of fun but I bet you are tired! Looking forward to seeing the finished versions!

Richard Madison
02-17-2009, 12:34 AM
What amazing stamina! A month's worth of work in one day. But no pictures?

Jeff Nicol
02-17-2009, 6:28 AM
Hey Bernie, You know it never happened without the pictures!!! Sounds like you did good though, but the evidence must be presented to the jury!

Have a great day,

Jeff

Bob Noles
02-17-2009, 6:53 AM
I'm jealous ;)

Greg Just
02-17-2009, 7:59 AM
Lucky You! Must have been an enjoyable day in the shop. I have not turned anything since before Christmas. i decided to shut the lathe down to build some cabinets for much needed storage. Hope to be done this weekend and be turning again next week. I miss it!

ROY DICK
02-17-2009, 8:18 AM
Bernie,

Glad you had a chance to get away to the shop.
Looking forward to seeing more of your great work.

Roy

steven carter
02-17-2009, 8:26 AM
Bernie,

Way to go! How long will it take to haul away the curlies? Must have made a lot! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Steve

Jim Kountz
02-17-2009, 8:46 AM
Wow I had a great day in the shop today. Finally got a whole day to do nothing but turn. I am in the process of making a cherry salad bowl set with a main bowl 11" X 4" and 8 small bowls 7" X 3". I got the main bowl and 4 small ones done today and in the DNA. Also turned a ambrosia maple and a Olive wood bowl that will be a communion bowl. My best friend and the guy I have worked with for 27 yrs his son was ordained a priest 1 yr ago in May. That is going to be his 1st yr anniversary gift. Oh and almost forgot I roughed a red oak bowl (I think that is what it was. Came from Missouri and oak of some kind) and it is in the DNA also.

The other bowl I turned or should say tried to turn today is a 12" X 6" redwood bowl. I got the outside done and turned it around to start on the inside. Well got it about half done and the foot broke off flush with the bottom of the bowl. I ran out of CA so it is clamped with Titebond III. Will let it sit for 24 hrs and hopefully get it done tomorrow night.

Sorry for the ramble but it has been a long time since I have been able to turn all day to my hearts content and rough out 8 bowls plus almost a 9th. Of course in 318 days I will be able to do that all the time.:D:D:D

I know no pic's it didn't happen but pic's will follow when finished.

Good to hear you had a good day in the shop, too bad about the redwood but you know what they say. A bad day in the shop beats a good day doing anything else!!

Bill Bolen
02-17-2009, 9:59 AM
WTG Bernie,,,,sounds like a long but fun filled day! So how many trash cans of curlies did you have to haul to the mulch pile?...Bill..

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Congrats Bernie! I love those "shop" days!

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes it was a good day. Jim K. hit the nail on the head. Any day turning is better than a good day at work. I almost hate going back to work after a 4 day weekend.

Yes all there will be pictures as soon as I get them finished. They will be soaking in DNA for another day or so.

On the redwood I was just bummed out about it. I glued the tenon back on and it seemed ok this morning except for the fact that on the outside it had probably 20 to 30 small cracks all over even though I had it in a sack with wet curlies on it. So I mixed up 50/50 water and white wood glue. I painted the whole outside and I mean saturated it. So will let it dry to see if can salvage that.

David D. I was told yesterday that I really wasn't going to be retired. He told me he is busier now than when he was working. He also told me don't, he said I repeat don't volunteer for anything. Once you get on peoples lists they will be calling you for everything. He said he thought he was going to be playing golf 3 or 4 days a week, building furniture 3 or 4 days a week but says he plays golf maybe 1 or 2 times every other week and hasn't had two days in a row to build his furniture in his woodworking shop.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted anyway.