PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - first use of kreg pocket hole jig

travis howe
02-16-2009, 8:55 PM
If anyone has hesitation as to how well this setup works, I would highly recommend it!

I'm always a little hesitant as to how many issues I'm going to run into with a new tool and this was no different. Wow, out of the box, mounted and built face frame for a desk cabinet in about 15 minutes total!

The only real challenge I have at all is trying to hold the two boards together steady to get the clamp on it...though I'm getting it and also realize that the clamp fit doesn't have to be dead on because the screws will pull it tight.

Highly recommended!:D

Bruce Wrenn
02-16-2009, 9:29 PM
Most, myself included, spend enough on junk to buy a Kregg jig, and then buy a Kregg jig. I bought my first (an A-2) at the show in Philly in 1996. With wife beside me and talking about spending $100 on some jig, flight back to Raleigh must have lasted a couple hours. But flight up was only 55 minutes. The cheapest way to get replacement bits, is to buy a "mini" for $20. I have two A-2's, two K-2000's, a "Rocket", and several "Mini's." One of the A-2's, I converted so the clamp is on the front, like the K-3. Was working on DC for it today.

Dewey Torres
02-16-2009, 9:53 PM
I tried to tell you so!!!!

Glad you liked it Travis:D

travis howe
02-16-2009, 9:57 PM
Yep...Thanks Dewey! My wife has no idea how quick these bottom cabinets are coming together and for her to start packing up her desk. This time it will be saying I'm waiting on her for once!;):D

Blake Barr
02-16-2009, 10:37 PM
yes! The pocket hole jig is wonderful. I've found it very useful in a variety of situations. I just wish I had an unlimited supply of their screws... they are awfully nice.

glenn bradley
02-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, they rock. I also love the 'mini', allows you to PH in odd places ;-)

Steve Rozmiarek
02-17-2009, 1:51 AM
Should see the Rube Goldberg contraptions that I'd rig up on my drill press to get repeatable fast joints on faceframes, before my Kreg jig. WAY better:D Ditto the screws, useful for a lot more than just Kreg joints!

travis howe
02-17-2009, 7:35 PM
I can only imangine the contraptions that people used! I know I'm lucky!

Speaking of new bits, what kind of use you all seeing on these?

Dewey Torres
02-17-2009, 7:51 PM
I can only imangine the contraptions that people used! I know I'm lucky!

Speaking of new bits, what kind of use you all seeing on these?

Travis,
They last a very long time unless you hit something metal with them or drop them. (don't ask)

Dan Cameron
02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Travis, what you DON'T want to do with pocket screws is to allow the screw to pull pieces together. Because of the angle of the screw the pieces will become misaligned. Better to clamp the pieces firmly IN PLACE and the screw just holds them there.

Danny Thompson
02-18-2009, 12:21 PM
So what's the best source for screws to use with the Kreg?

I used mine for the first time over the weekend. Truly cool tool.

Brad Wood
02-18-2009, 1:07 PM
Funny - I just used the Kregg jig for the first time in this past couple weeks. Amazing how fast the frame went together.

Definitely need to come up with a better way to hold the two pieces together while being screwed though

Prashun Patel
02-18-2009, 1:17 PM
Faceframe clamp is a must.

I put the pieces snug on a flat table, and then faceclamp the joint. Then I close my eyes and rub the planes of the joint to make sure I can't feel the transition. Then I screw in each screw 1/2 way, and then come back and tighten them all up. Works every time.

Oh, man, and wait until you discover how great pscrews work when edge gluing large panels. A couple of cauls on the edges and a handful of pscrews through the underside to clamp the joint. You can immediately handle the piece, and wipe any squeeze out b4 it sets. I no longer work up a panic sweat when gluing...

Bruce Wrenn
02-18-2009, 10:04 PM
So what's the best source for screws to use with the Kreg?

I used mine for the first time over the weekend. Truly cool tool.
I buy the genuine Kregg brand screws. A box of a thousand set me back $23 and some change last night. Lowes stocks them in boxes of 100 at a competitive price.

Paul Maxwell
02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
I did my first cabinet using the Kreg jig and it was a breeze. However, when doing my last hole my bit got hot and required more effort to make the hole. i have searched with no luck in trying to find out what I am doing wrong. Any help? I was using my old Makita electric drill running at what I thought was the right speed. Is my bit now done and where is the best place to get a replacement?

Rich Engelhardt
02-19-2009, 1:55 AM
Hello,

Is my bit now done and where is the best place to get a replacement?
Possibly. If it is, then most people buy the Mini Jig kit for about $19 and change, as opposed to the bit alone for about $14 and change.
Lowes or Amazon have them.

Re: the OP - Like most first timers using the Kreg, I was also impressed with how easy and simple it is to use & how it does exactly what it claims.
Good tool.

Joe Scharle
02-19-2009, 8:10 AM
I did my first cabinet using the Kreg jig and it was a breeze. However, when doing my last hole my bit got hot and required more effort to make the hole. i have searched with no luck in trying to find out what I am doing wrong. Any help? I was using my old Makita electric drill running at what I thought was the right speed. Is my bit now done and where is the best place to get a replacement?

The dust collector on the master model does a great job of cooling the bit.

Bill White
02-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Got mine years ago at a WW show in Atlanta. Man, it has seen some use.
Bill:D

Paul Maxwell
02-19-2009, 10:51 AM
The dust collector on the master model does a great job of cooling the bit.

Joe, inretrospect when I was using the benchmount with the dust collection in place I had no problem. I had to add a couple more pocket holes after I had partly assembled the cabinet and was using the jig clamped to the panel. I did not have the dust collection shroud installed. I also wonder if I was putting lateral pressure on the bit when i was reaching inside the cabinet to drill.

Andy Pratt
02-19-2009, 1:27 PM
I also found the DC attachment kept the bit much cooler. Fairly loud drawing the air through those small holes but way nicer to work with, no dust messing up the seating of a board in the jig either.

I picked up 5000 1&1/4" kreg pan head, fine thread screws on an amazon crazy deal for about $50. It was so low the company didn't want to honor my order but eventually they did. That should last me most of my lifetime I think.

Eric Gustafson
02-19-2009, 2:19 PM
I have some cheepo pocket hole jig I bought 25 years ago. It works, but I keep thinking I should try the Kreg system. Looks like it would be faster to use. However, to keep the bits cooler: I use the Kreg bits and dip the warm bit into a tub of paste wax every now and then. It reduces the friction of the bit against the jig. It might be differnet witht the Kreg, but it sure helps with the PH jig I have.