PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection - any reason to NOT use SDR35

Robert Reece
02-16-2009, 8:48 PM
Coming up on running a good bit of Dust collection pipe (6"). I have found both varieties of the "soil and drain" pipe - SDR 35 (ASTM 3034) and the thinner walled stuff, ASTM-2927. Here's the catch though - the SDR 35 is 20 miles closer to me and $0.80/ft less expensive. The real kicker is that the SDR 35 that this guy has is white! It's usually that terrible green.

I was thinking about making my own fittings using the templates over at Stan Harder's site, in which case the thicker walls of the SDR 35 would actually be a positive for me.

Does anyone see a drawback to using this pipe over the thinner stuff? Outside dimension of both pipes is the same so it should be completely interchangeable.

The only drawback I can see is that HVAC pipe doesn't fit inside the SDR35 as well as the 2927, but I think it's workable.

Ken Deckelman
02-17-2009, 9:40 AM
There is no good reason not to use it. I really like the fact that is white also!

Chris Padilla
02-17-2009, 9:59 AM
I dunno why the color change but all the 2729 I have gotten has been white.

SDR35 is just fine for DC and the OD is the same so no problema on the fittings.

I'm not sure I would make fittings but that is me. :)

Joel Earl
02-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Go for it.

Any chance that you could provide a link to Stan's site regarding these fittings. Thanks

Ed Hazel
02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Go for it.

Any chance that you could provide a link to Stan's site regarding these fittings. Thanks
http://www.harderwoods.com/tools.html

Todd Houg
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
I just completed a DC system for a small dust collector using 4" SDR35. I found the white stuff available at our local Lowes. The advantage in using SDR35 (vs 2729) was that the inside diameter was a perfect fit over the flange of the Rockler metal blast gates. There was almost enough friction to hold them in, so I drilled a couple holes and added a couple screws to each flange. Made for a very clean and easy blast gate assembly.

Todd

Chris Padilla
02-17-2009, 2:32 PM
Todd,

First, welcome to Da Crik (The Creek). :)

What kind of dust collector do you have? I'm just curious why you went with 4" is all. Usually, bigger is better...but not always. :)

Todd Houg
02-17-2009, 2:55 PM
Thanks for the Welcome Chris!

My dust collector is the small Delta 50-720 unit rated at 1HP and 650cfm. From my calculations, it can't move enough air to generate sufficient velocity in a 6" pipe to keep things moving. At some point I plan to upgrade my DC to one that can move some real volume and then move up to 6" pipe. But for now, it's a significant upgrade over my central shop vac system.

Todd