PDA

View Full Version : First cutting board

Tim Null
02-16-2009, 8:24 PM
Made this for the LOML for Valentines Day. First attempt. Used hard maple and walnut.

I went for the edging, but she actually said she likes no edge better. Of course, now she tells me! LOL

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/TimsGuns517-1.jpg

David Christopher
02-16-2009, 9:00 PM
Tim, that looks good.. what finish did you use

Leo Graywacz
02-16-2009, 9:07 PM
Looks good, but it will probably blow apart if it gets to wet. You have locked in the endgrain with a breadboard end. When it expands and contracts with humidity canges it may bust a glue joint. I have a table done this way and it has lasted 4 years so far. So it is not something written in stone.

Tim Null
02-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks.

Didn't think about the expansion part.....duh......but hopefully it will be ok.

I used the butcher block conditioner from Rockler. Mineral oil with beeswax I believe. First I soaked it with plain mineral oil and then used multiple coats of the conditioner.

Water on it beads.

TimN

Kevin Godshall
02-17-2009, 7:45 AM
I thought the same thing initially about the expansion issue....... but you made an endgrain board, correct? (my puter doesn't load pictures too well).

If you did, this should drastically reduce the amount of movement the wood will experience during temp/humidity changes.

If it does move, it is just another learning process that we all go thru. To quote Henry Ford, "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently".

Nice looking board. Congratulations on it!!

Bill Huber
02-17-2009, 8:43 AM
Looks good, I am sure the wife will really like using it, I know now that I made one for my wife the plastic one went in the trash.

She has used it just about every day for the last year or so and it is just not showing knife cuts and I may resand it.

Chris Padilla
02-17-2009, 10:08 AM
For something this small, I think expansion will be no big deal.

Looks good!