PDA

View Full Version : Relatively new to woodworking

John Gregory
07-08-2004, 4:24 PM
In 2002, my wife and I built a woodworking shop, 20X20 with 10' ceilings and equiped it with mostly Ridgid stationary tools, (we got a 15% discount) . We invested about the cost of a nice ski boat or other hobby LOL. We love to work together in the shop. My wife is an artist and that talent is very valuable in this hobby. Anyway I thought I would share pics of some of our projects so far.

I love this hobby!!!:p

Jack Hogoboom
07-08-2004, 4:35 PM
John,

Wow. Nice stuff. What's the wood you used for the bench? Is the wood in the third picture cherry? Unbelievable grain pattern!!

I've been toying with the idea of building a new mantle for my family room fireplace, but I've hesitated because I'm not sure how to attach it.

Wish my wife shared my hobby....Maybe not...

Thanks for the pictures.

Jack

Michael Ballent
07-08-2004, 4:44 PM
Now now... what are you doing getting on here and claiming to be a "Newbie" ;) That is swank!!! Nice work!!!! Thanks for sharing... If that is what you are beginning with I cannot wait to see what you produce down the road :D

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 4:56 PM
Newbie. Yea, right! :D Very nice projects, John, and the curly lumber in that vanity is OUTSTANDING!

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 5:01 PM
Newbie??? C'mon...stop pulling our legs. Your work is fantastic. How nice that your wife likes to work in the shop with you. Mine won't go anywhere near except to do the laundry.... :)

John Shuk
07-08-2004, 5:26 PM
Yeah...what they said....newbie my... Very nice work. I like the wife gloat too. I go to the shop to escape....did I say that?

John Gregory
07-08-2004, 5:29 PM
The vanity is red oak. We just happened to find that curly pattern in one board that was mixed in with the regular stuff. It has a natural stain ( minwax 209) and 3 coats of verathane.

The fireplace mantel and surround is attached to ledger boards that are attached to the sheet rocked wall. Basically the mantel and legs are hollow. We attached some 2X2" fir strips to the wall, then attached the fireplace surround with brads. The fireplace surround was built for our son's new home. His wife did not like what the builder offered and saw one in a picture of a living room in a magazine. My artist wife came up with the plan for that one.

We have a fairly well equiped shop thanks to the fact it is my wife's hobby too. It is much easier to buy things for the shop when we both use them. I know that I am one lucky guy. :D

Todd Burch
07-08-2004, 6:23 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek John!

Nice projects. I REALLY like that bench. The front legs and scrollwork on the apron just make it. Did you end up painting it? Looks like poplar or maple.

Todd

John Gregory
07-08-2004, 6:44 PM
It was made from Poplar. My wife did the design, based on an over priced, cheaply constructed inspriation piece at a local furniture store. Out son and his wife will paint it.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-08-2004, 6:46 PM
Since they have said it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! DITTO

Keep this hobby!

Bruce

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 6:47 PM
John,

Is the bench meant for indoors or outdoors? Poplar is a good wood to paint! :)

Jason Tuinstra
07-08-2004, 7:25 PM
John, welcome aboard. Everyone else gave you grief, so I can only echo everyone else's "yea right" sentiment. The bench is a real winner. And the curly oak is some of the nicest that I've seen. Great job all the way around.

Waymon Campbell
07-08-2004, 8:23 PM
John - Welcome to the 'Creek. I can only echo what the others have said. NICE !!!

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 9:02 PM
Poplar is a good wood to paint!
Poplar is a good wood to finish in any way you want...it takes dyes wonderfully and can mimic a number of more expensive species. If you have any with heartwood that tends to green, be aware that it will turn a nice brown with exposure to UV/sunlight. It's not a good choice for outdoor use, however, as it does not take moisture and insects well, even if painted. I use a LOT of poplar in my projects (because I have a ton of it milled off our property) but I would not use it outside.

Cecil Arnold
07-08-2004, 9:35 PM
Sure you're a newbie, and I have this bridge I'd like to sell and some waterfront land in Florida. Very nice work! After seeing that I may never post a picture.

Jim Ketron
07-08-2004, 10:06 PM
GREAT jOB!!

Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2004, 1:17 AM
John.....Wlcome to the 'Creek! If that work is by a newbie, I'm not sure how you are going to be able to improve in the future! :confused: :p Great craftsmanship! Again, Welcome!

Frank Pellow
07-09-2004, 2:37 AM
Welcome. I am a relative "oldie" to woodworking but I have built few things as good as the four you have shown in your pictures.

Gary Whitt
07-09-2004, 8:04 AM
Love it, John!!!! ;)
I have some curly red maple like that.
It is highly figured and very nice-looking.
I hope someday it makes some fine furniture like yours.

Mark Singer
07-09-2004, 8:06 AM
Great work! Nice story...it is nice to have a hobby you share with your wife

John Gregory
07-09-2004, 10:21 AM
The bench was made for indoor use. We just took the picture on the patio. I was such a nice day. :) We will be building a bench for a rose arbor we will build out of cedar. I am thinking of building the bench from Cyprus or White Oak. We have not worked with either material. Any advise on which species to use?

Tyler Howell
07-09-2004, 1:05 PM
Welcome John,

Since it's 1/2 her shop we're going to need her name and avatar on your posts too. Very fine pojects.;)
TJH

Jerry Olexa
07-09-2004, 4:42 PM
OUTSTANDING Work! Welcome! Jerry