PDA

View Full Version : Blades for GO513X2 Band Saw

Bill Petersen
02-16-2009, 8:19 PM
Well, the band saw should be here tomorrow evening. I didn't buy any extra blades with the saw but I know I'll probably need one of each size eventually.

My question is, what is the range of adjustment on this saw? Must I use only 131-1/2" blades or is there enough range to use something else. Seems like I've seen more availability for 132" blades.

Also, has anyone used blades for Spence Distributors in Canada? They make blades to order and the pricing sure seems good.

Thanks, Bill

John Keeton
02-16-2009, 8:34 PM
Bill, do yourself a favor and call Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/), tell them what you are going to use the bandsaw for, and buy Timberwolf blades. They have a special - buy 3, get the 4th blade free. Don't mess with the length. The saw has a tensioning guide on it, and I would think that will be all out of whack if you do.

Pat Germain
02-16-2009, 8:45 PM
John is spot-on.

I have the same band saw. I ordered my first set of blades from Suffolk Machinery. I just told them what I wanted to do and they sent me their Timberwolf blades which are way nice.

There are many other good blades, but Timberwolf is a good place to start. As you get more experience with your saw, you may decide you want something else. Or, you may stay with Timberwolf.

I've never seen anything close to a 131 1/2 on a shelf. So, I just order my blades and they fit perfectly.

Anthony Whitesell
02-16-2009, 9:13 PM
I have only used the Suffolk/Timberwolf 131 1/2" blades. With the 3/4" 0.035 blade, I had to have the tension wound really tight. I would suggest that if you opt to try a 132" length, start with a 1/4" blades and I wouldn't both with anything over 1/2" thick especially not the 3/4". You'll probably run out of travel and tension.

jerry nazard
02-16-2009, 10:02 PM
I have some Woodslicer blades from Highland Hardware. The 1/2 - 3 tpi blade generally stays on my saw and resaws nicely. I have resawn 11" poplar for drawer sides and a bunch of 6 -8" white oak. A 3/16 - 4 tpi blade, also from Highland, is nice for curves. A 132" blade should run fine on this saw, in fact that size was indicated in earlier Grizzly manuals and advertisements. However, I agree with John and Pat - use 131 1/2" blades and be done with it.

Nice saw!! You will love it!