PDA

View Full Version : Book on simple wooden toys

Bill Tims
02-16-2009, 7:47 PM
My brother-in-law was in a serious car wreck about 15 years ago and didn't come out of well, physically or mentally. My sister is looking for something to occupy his time, he can't hold a job, and was thinking of wooden toys. Does anyone have experience with books that would have plans or where she might find plans for this kind of thing?

Thanks

Bill

Paul Stroik
02-16-2009, 8:07 PM
Bill, try googling "Making Wooden Toys". A lot of info out there. Also check Amazon and you will find quite a few books on that subject.

Many of these toys can be made with just a few basic tools. A Table saw would be nice. But a bandsaw, scrollsaw, drill press and he would be on his way to a great hobby that could keep him very busy. Good luck.

Also check out Meisels, Toysandjoys, Wooden Memories sites for plans ($$).

Lee Schierer
02-17-2009, 8:41 AM
Try "The Great All American Wooden Toy Book" by Norm Marshall. It is available from Amazon and others. The toys are designed to be played with and are not models.http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71SMERCJBGL._SL500_AA240_.gif

I've made a number of toys from it.

Rob Young
02-17-2009, 9:58 AM
I second the Great All-American Wooden Toy Book. But on comment made in the opening post bothers me. It was said the brother-in-law may also have some mental problems associated with the accident.

Worst case this is reduced mental capacity, best case, something akin to adult ADHD. Either way those two things sound like a bad combination with tools like a bandsaw or tablesaw.

Be careful!

David Keller NC
02-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Bill - If this is something to occupy your brother-in-law's time and to make things for the family, wooden toys would certainly be a good option. But be aware that the problems with lead paint in chinese-made toys in the last year has led congress to over-react and pass a very restrictive law that requires testing and certification for children's toys, and there is no exemption for small makers.

The newspaper article on the subject that appeared when the rules went into effect in a couple of weeks ago stated that the federal agency responsible for enforcing the new law noted that they intended not to apply them to craft fair people for about a year, but they also noted that their hands were tied until/unless congress modifies the law.

So - my point is that if this is a way for your brother in law to earn a bit of an income, he may be better off with something like carving (that can be done without power tools, and there's a demand for it) until all of this gets resolved.

Steve Mellott
02-17-2009, 6:02 PM
Bill:

As an alternative, you may want to consider purchasing a scrollsaw for your brother-in-law. This tool can be used to make intarsia, marquetry, puzzles, portraits, etc. I know several people who are really addicted to this type of woodworking. The blades are cheap and in many cases, the wood usage is minimal. It is also very difficult to hurt yourself with this type of tool. Also, no concerns about the potential liability associated with toys. There may also be a scrollsaw club in your area that could help with teaching the skills. Just my 2 cents.

Steve