PDA

View Full Version : Mohawk Shelborne Comb square

Matt Edwards
02-16-2009, 7:04 PM
I have a 12" Mohawk Shelburne com. sq. and I haven't been able to find much out about it. I know that, M-S was a lesser line of tools(planes) from Millers Falls, but the everything about the head on this says Starrett. Did Starrett make these by any chance? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part. The rule portion is in fair clean shape, but the end corners are well worn. What I'm getting at here I guess, is weather or not it would be worth while to buy a 12 starrett comb. rule only and use with this head. Or wait and hopefully run across a deal on the whole deal. This one is dead on sq. and weighs a ton (which I like) compared to other sq's I have.

Thanks!
Matt

Bill Houghton
02-16-2009, 7:16 PM
but I do know that combo square rules vary considerably in thickness. Not surprisingly, Starrett and other machinist's rules are usually thicker. Measure your existing rule, confirm that it's a good fit in the slot, and, if you're ordering over the net, ask the seller to confirm the rule's thickness.

Obviously, if you plan to buy from a physical store, you can just take the head in and test it.

I find these often at garage sales, too, for $1 or less, though usually in plain steel rather than satin chrome, and sometimes needing a little cleanup. Satin chrome is best, especially in dark areas or bright sunlight, but, if you're younger than I am (60), or work exclusively in a properly lit shop, plain steel may be OK.

I've moved to using machinist's squares exclusively, even for carpentry, preferring the 4 or 4R pattern (1/8", 1/16", 1/32", 1/64" graduations) - they're REALLY rugged and work more smoothly than cheaper ones.