PDA

View Full Version : Font Help Please?

Randy Zyduck
02-16-2009, 6:35 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm inneed of a single line font. I have to put a poem on wood and i don't want to engrave all the words, to time consuming.I want to turn the power down and cut the words in it's alittle faster and works out better using single line letters.Can anyone help??
Thank You

Dave Johnson29
02-16-2009, 6:46 PM
I'm in need of a single line font.

Hi Randy,

I can't help you directly but about 3 or so weeks back there was a similar request and a bunch of fonts were mentioned. Try a search on single line fonts.

Another option is to add a hairline outline to a thin font with a white fill. That will vector instead of raster.

Alexa Ristow
02-21-2009, 8:45 AM
There are a number of single line fonts - actually called engraving fonts on freefont.com as well as 1001freefonts.com - it works really well to do this , I cut words onto gift tags for one of my clients and its an extremely neat way of "writing" on wood ! One of them is called ENG_Futuraline if you want to try and search for it

Jack Harper
02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Can anyone point me to where I can find the ENG_Futuraline font or equivalent? I have looked on the sites listed but must be missing it for some reason. Thanks.

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-23-2009, 4:53 PM
Sorry, I checked but we don't have it. I'll keep looking though.

Al Daniel
05-23-2009, 1:33 PM
From www.sawmillcreek.org/psfonts.zip (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/psfonts.zip) I have downloaded and saved to file 12 fonts that I believe to be single-line fonts. These fonts are saved in two folders, for example, the top 'psfonts' folder contains ^HELV.PFB & the PFM subfolder contains ^HELV.PFM. When I goto Start >ControlPanel >>Fonts >File >InstalNewFont, the FoldersListWindow shows nothing for the selected 'psfonts' folder and the 'PFM' subfolder shows Eng_HelvLine(Type1) & 11 other fonts. When I select Eng_HelvLine(Type1) and click install I get a message "copyright holder will not allow this font to be converted to TrueType" and then the font appears to be installed. Then if I look for the new installed font, and again after restarting WinXP, I find nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Scott Shepherd
05-23-2009, 2:31 PM
They aren't true type fonts. I found a link that says you can't install them as normal, you have to use Adobe's type manager to install them, which is located here :

http://www.adobe.com/products/atmlight/index.html

Al Daniel
05-23-2009, 3:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. From http://www.myfonts.com/support/help_install_win.html I read that with WinXP it is not necessary to install ATM (Abobe Type Mgr); it is supposed to be built into WinXP. I understand that these fonts are Adobe PostScript Type-1 fonts.

I also read that "Type-1 fonts have two files: PFB (printer font binary has outlines that control how the font looks) and PFM (printer font metrics has information about font spacing). Be sure you have both font files." As I stated earlier, 2 files are saved but the install process seems to use only one. Is this part of the problem? Does WinXP not have the ATM?

I want to use them in CorelDraw8 and then for metal engraving.

Scott Shepherd
05-23-2009, 7:30 PM
Not sure, you're way outside of my knowledge base about fonts. Maybe someone else knows.

Al Daniel
05-23-2009, 8:05 PM
Scott, you were correct. WinXP needed the ATM installed. The new single-line font has been used & a test copy has been sent for approval. Thanks!