PDA

View Full Version : A piece made from Birch Burl.

John Shuk
07-08-2004, 4:13 PM
I found this Black Birch Burl in my back yard a while ago and I turned it into a cylinder and sealed it. It has been calling out to me for a long time but I never knew just what to do with it. It was about the size and shape of an old oval porcelain doorknob. The wood is the real star here as I wanted to preserve as much of the "meat" as I could and since my tool technique leaves something to be desired I did as little as possible. My goal was to try to bring out the glow of the burl. I sanded to 400 grit applied 2 coats of BLO to "pop" the grain about an hour or so apart then 3 coats of 1 lb cut blond shellac 24 hours later. I sanded the shellac with 1000 grit then buffed with shavings. That is a quarter in the foreground for sizing.

Chris Padilla
07-08-2004, 4:26 PM
Real purty, John! What do you think it weighs? Does it have good heft to it?

Jack Hogoboom
07-08-2004, 4:32 PM
How the heck did you mount and turn something that small?!!! There's got to be a story there somewhere.

Jack

John Shuk
07-08-2004, 5:22 PM
Chris,
If I had to guess I'd say it weighs about 6 or 8 oz. It does have good heft.

Jack,
I mounted that on my pen turning Mandrel. There are a whole lot of projects that can use that. I have only made a few but There are alot. The kit was designed to make a "Light Pull". Now I just have to find a light that needs one!